Jag parts

Started by enjenjo, October 27, 2010, 07:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Spent the day today stripping the Jag. It has some neat parts in it. It has a cable drive wiper system like  the Specialty power windows system, several little fuse blocks, nice small lowback bucket seats, a pair of flip up gas caps, a nice set of guages, a  neat little cable shifter, a fiber optic light system, and a ton of brackets. I also pulled the front suspension, 4 bolts and it was out. A very complicated car to tear apart. I have also sold some parts on Craig's list.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

What year Jag is this that has fiber optics and where are they used? I guess the Lucas mystique doesn't worry you?

Quote from: "enjenjo"A very complicated car to tear apart.
All except the 4 bolt FE, huh?  :D You gotta home in mind for that?
Who\'s yer Data?

jaybee

Love those Jag gas caps.  I'll bet there are a lot of little details on those cars that are neat and unusual.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mac"What year Jag is this that has fiber optics and where are they used? I guess the Lucas mystique doesn't worry you?

Quote from: "enjenjo"A very complicated car to tear apart.
All except the 4 bolt FE, huh?  :D You gotta home in mind for that?

Front and rear are going into a 48 Chevy. The fiber optics are for all the lighted bezels for switches and so forth. it's an 84

Mac

[/quote]

Front and rear are going into a 48 Chevy. The fiber optics are for all the lighted bezels for switches and so forth. it's an 84[/quote]

Now I remember you mentioned the 48 in an earlier thread.
I had no idea fiber (or fibre to a Jag) optics were used in a car that long ago.
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

one thing.. and i think i mentioned it..

many mid 80s and newer jags use light control boxes at each corner...

they are relay boxes..   they involve the bulb failure warning light in the dash

opening them removing the circuit boards and resoldering the circuit boards...  

there is usually a daughter board on stack pins that can be pulled off to resolder..

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"I also pulled the front suspension, 4 bolts and it was out. A very complicated car to tear apart.
Was the motor already out?

I've dragged home an '85 XJS but haven't been able to start disassembly yet.  Mine still has a motor in it, and I suspect that complicates removing the IFS.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I also pulled the front suspension, 4 bolts and it was out. A very complicated car to tear apart.
Was the motor already out?

I've dragged home an '85 XJS but haven't been able to start disassembly yet.  Mine still has a motor in it, and I suspect that complicates removing the IFS.

Motor was out. only the front motor mounts, and the PS hoses would be added.

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"Motor was out. only the front motor mounts, and the PS hoses would be added.
Its removing the motor mounts without removing the motor that is worrying me.

I keep thinking I should offer the motor free on craigslist to anyone who will remove it neatly.

Steve@OldSub.com

enjenjo

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Motor was out. only the front motor mounts, and the PS hoses would be added.
Its removing the motor mounts without removing the motor that is worrying me.

I keep thinking I should offer the motor free on craigslist to anyone who will remove it neatly.

There are 4 bolts on each side from the mount to the crossmember, They have captive nuts and can be reached from the top with a long extension. You will then have to hold the engine up with a jack, and take the crossmember out. Once the crossmember is out you can clamp a 2 by 4 to the frame to hold up the engine.

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"Once the crossmember is out you can clamp a 2 by 4 to the frame to hold up the engine.
I'll use that approach.

Thanks!

Steve@OldSub.com

enjenjo

I looked at the front end again, they are not captive bolts, but they can be reached easily. I included a picture of the mounts.

enjenjo

Here is a picture of the guages

OldSub

Are those gauges any good?  I like the look but have hesitated because Lucas has such a poor reputation.

Steve@OldSub.com

enjenjo

Quote from: "OldSub"Are those gauges any good?  I like the look but have hesitated because Lucas has such a poor reputation.

I don't know. I have not identified the manufacturer, but for many years Jag used Smith guages.