Transmission cooler fitting assistance needed

Started by Canuck, October 06, 2010, 11:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

Atempting to run the hard lines for my transmission cooler.

The rad has 1/8 NPT fittings that can be fitted with a adapter to a 5/16 inverted flare fitting.  Unable to find any fittings that adapt to a 3/8 inverted flare, but thats OK, I think.

The trans a 1966 SP400 has a adapter that goes from 1/4 NPSM (nontapered thread that uses a copper washer as a seal) so it doesn't put any strain on the trans case, to 3/8 inverted flare.  The opening in this fitting is the same inside diameter as 5/16 tube, so using 5/16 tube would not impose much if any reduction in flow.

The Question ---

Did GM ever use a adapter fitting from 1/4 NPSM male to 5/16 inverted flare female and 5/16 cooler lines?  

If they did what vehicles and what years was it used?

Thanks for the help guys  :)

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Canuck"The rad has 1/8 NPT fittings that can be fitted with a adapter to a 5/16 inverted flare fitting.  Unable to find any fittings that adapt to a 3/8 inverted flare, but thats OK, I think.

I found several sources on the 'net, for as little as $1.21 each.

Parker BRASS Male connector #48IFHD-6-2 (or equivalent)
3/8" tube size
1/8" MPT
3/8" Female Inverted Flare with 5/8"-18 straight thread
.220" Flow Dia (I.D.)
3/4" hex

I was unable to find any 1/4"NPSM male X 5/16" Female Inverted Flare fittings listed.   .....I can't answer your question about OEM usage of same.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Canuck

Thanks Bruce,  The fitting I have in the rad right now is similar, same family??, but in a 90 degree format from 1/8 NPT to 5/16 tube.  There is a version in a 90 degree that goes from 1/8 NPT to 3/8 tube that I can use if unable to locate anything to adapt at the tranny end.  Was using a Fairview catalogue that didn't list anything for 1/8 to 3/8 tube.

Have to use a 90 at the rad to clear the fan blades, they overlap the lower tank so I cannt go straight out.  This whole build is turning into a exercise in putting 10 pounds of s*&* into a 2 pound bag.  :roll:

Still hoping to find something to enable the use of 5/16 tube, but fully expect your suggestion might be the answer.  I think the 1/4"NPSM male X 5/16" Female Inverted Flare fittings will end up being a GM special if they exist.

Thanks
Canuck
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017

enjenjo

Most any later GM transmission has the fitting you need. Or you can use a Weatherhead 7916 at the trans end to adapt the fitting you have to 5/16" line.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Canuck

Thanks for the help guys.  I greatly appreciate it.

Why is sit that I have searched thru every catalog I have and couldn't see that adapter fitting  :oops:  

Thanks again, off for a quick stop at the pick a part then on to Piston Ring.

Canuck
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017

wayne petty

i know i have posted this before...

but there are 2 pdf sections everybody should have in a folder for brass fitting..

the inverted flair  are at the end of this section...

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/115-120_Sec7_Part1.pdf

and carry over into this section..

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/121-126_Sec7_Part2.pdf

this link takes you to the plews edelman site... for automotive fittings..

http://www.plews-edelmann.com/index.cfm?location_id=2516

there are links at the end of each section that will take you back to the many sections...

Jokester

I hate to be too obvious, but why not use a remote cooler and keep the heat out of the radiator?

My 2¢.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

river1

Quote from: "Jokester"I hate to be too obvious, but why not use a remote cooler and keep the heat out of the radiator?

My 2¢.

.bjb

i think in an area like Canada you'd want the heat from the rad to heat the fluid in the tranny. if tranny fluid is too cool it doesn't work as well.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

wayne petty

was it on this forum a few years back.. where the temps in canada got to -50 and dozens of gm trucks had to be towed back to the dealer with burned up transmissions as someone had changed a line of code...  that locked the TCC to build heat...  at -45 but the ATF froze in the cooler lines to it left the rotating parts in the transmission that were driven by the TCC lock up totally melted..

Canuck

Wayne, thanks for the post of the links to Dorman and Plews-Edelmann, make a good reference.  I had been using a Fairview catalogue, Canadian manufacturer as I knew they would be available here.  The cross reference numbers will be a great help to locate items here.  Checked out a wrecker and was able to get adapter fittings as mentioned by Engenjo.

Jokester:  As far as a remote cooler, this car is 10 pounds of sh&& in a 5 pound bag, not a lot of room.  Am considering a frame mounted cooler beside the trans, one of those long finned ones as well as the tranny cooler.  May pick up too much heat under the car from engine and exhaust heat, don't know yet if there will be room between the engine and rad for one.  Car is a fendered Model A with a 425 Buick and a SP400 so it gets a little crowded underneath.  I don't think I will have to worry about driving it in the winter, and without air maybe not on the real hot days.

Now as far as the weather here in Canada, think of the advantages we have,  shop is a little on the small side just whack out a few more blocks of snow and build a extension.  Price is right, snow for construction is free.  Walls are white so lighting is great and walls are translucent so can taka advantage of natural lighting as well.  No snakes or spiders to bother you.  Don't have to worry about fire, built in fire suppresion system.  :lol:

Seriously, our weather here in the summer ranges from mid 70s up to the 90s, generally with humidity added into the picture.  -45 in the winter is a rare thing, not that it doesn't happen.  Never heard of problems like you mentioned Wayne with freeze ups.  -45 generally doesn't slow things down too much, just have to make sure you have some warm boots and clothes with you when travelling, add a bit of menthol hydrate to your gas tank to prevent carb icing,  go slow when you start your trip to warm the tires up a bit so youi don't loose a seal on the bead.  Just a normal day for those tough Canadians.  

Actually River1, your comments on keep ing the trans warm enough do apply.  On 4x4s that I've had with in-rad and remote coolers, I have wrapped the remote cooler with a vinyl sleeve to prevent the lose of heat.
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017

Bruce Dorsi

Thanks for the links, Wayne!  

I have downloaded and saved the catalogs for future reference.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!