Where'd you all get your cars...?

Started by EisenMark, July 23, 2004, 04:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EisenMark

I'm looking for some pointers and stories and legacy from this group here about how to find a car or truck that is worth chopping.  This forum represents a lot of cars that have been found, chopped and finished, maybe sold off, maybe kept.  I don't know how to even begin looking for the right car.  I've been building and rebuilding motorcycles over the past few years, so at a simplistic level I know how to begin the cut and chop routine.  Bikes are pretty easy to find, pretty easy to get parts for and how much trouble can you really get into?  So if I want to do a car, it's going to be a pretty good mess, I've resigned myself to that.  My wife will take more work to get her on-board with this, but what the hey.  

What are the basics?  Where do you find your cars?  Cash-only business, right?  Do you go to car shows with a trailer and haul stuff away?  I'm just looking for some ideas here as to how to get rolling (haha).

Thanks - Mark

58 Yeoman

Well, Mark, I found my 58 at a friends body shop. They were going to do it, and lost interest. In 2000, I drove to Rapid City, SD to look at a 41 Olds, which was a real POS. 1000 miles one-way, in two days. On the way home, I see the 41 Pontiac in the next state, probably less than a hundred miles from home.

Check the local and state auto/sell magazines; seems like I've seen some neat cars in those mags. When you're riding around, keep your eyes open for cars sitting in yards or behind garages. It never hurts to ask. I used to re-do VW's, and would ride around through back alleys, etc., and when I spotted one, I would stop and ask. Works the same with rods-to-be.

Good luck.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

alchevy

Quote from: "EisenMark"I'm looking for some pointers and stories and legacy from this group here about how to find a car or truck that is worth chopping.  This forum represents a lot of cars that have been found, chopped and finished, maybe sold off, maybe kept.  I don't know how to even begin looking for the right car.  I've been building and rebuilding motorcycles over the past few years, so at a simplistic level I know how to begin the cut and chop routine.  Bikes are pretty easy to find, pretty easy to get parts for and how much trouble can you really get into?  So if I want to do a car, it's going to be a pretty good mess, I've resigned myself to that.  My wife will take more work to get her on-board with this, but what the hey.  

What are the basics?  Where do you find your cars?  Cash-only business, right?  Do you go to car shows with a trailer and haul stuff away?  I'm just looking for some ideas here as to how to get rolling (haha).

Thanks - Mark
If you can, come to the fairgrounds at Louisville, KY Aug. 5-8, 2004 to the NSRA Street Rod Nationals. This is the BIG one. Last year there were 11,288 registered cars (all pre-'49) at this event. There's a huge swap meet there where you can find just about anything. Come early Aug. 5th to get the best deals. You asked about getting parts for these, well, there's almost 300 vendors inside the nice a/c area with everything car related for pre-'49. Put it to ya this way, you can just about buy the parts for the entire car there and build it while at the show. Have to go get gas outside the fairgrounds. Your wife will enjoy Women's World (about 300 arts & crafts and such booths inside the a/c area also). She can also take a bus ride to several malls while you are swimming in a sea of every color car outside, bring plenty of sunscreen & water! By all means bring your trailer. You can also find several cars that you can drive home that will be for sale on the grounds throughout the 400 acres on the fairgrounds.
Now, if you can't make it to the car show, there are several places to find cars for sale (Hemmings Motor News is one of the largest).
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

DRD57

I bought my Model A coupe from an ad in the local Auto Trader. My Cadillac was spotted by my brother sitting in a driveway with a FOR SALE sign on the windshield. I got my 32 roadster from a friends dad who had it stashed in a barn for over 30 years. I bought my 64 Plymouth from a friend the first time I owned it. 18 years later that same friend found the car for sale at a swap meet and gave me a call from his cell phone. I got my 2 1956 F100's form a friend who owns a Towing business.

Figure out what kind of car(s) you want and then just start beating the bushes. Tell everyone who will listen, what you're looking for. Check the local paper  for the classifieds. Local ad papers like the Pennysaver and Recycler turn up good leads. Auto Trader papers, swap meets, ebay(usually top price). Drive around and look for old cars that have obviously not been driven or registered in a while then stop and ask if they want to sell. Be prepared to hear a lot of "No, I'm going to fix it up someday". Ask other people with old cars if they know where any old cars for sale are.

When you do find what you want at a fair price be ready to step up and close the deal immediately. Give them the money and take the car. Don't sit around procrastinating. Many a deal has slipped away because the transaction wasn't closed quick.  

Patience and persistence will pay off.

oiler

I decided on what I wanted to build by local shows
And went searching from there.
I've got a question for you,
Are you located in Toronto Ontario?
I know someone there that has reverse of your nickname for his name.

SKR8PN

After a failed attempt to purchase a hotrod,already done,I decided to build what I wanted.I scanned Auto-Trader.com and other places till I came up with what I was looking for. I am in Ohio,and the truck was in Hermann Mo.
8 hours with a trailer,one way,and I had my truck.
I been cussing it ever since!!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Anonymous

Finding a project vehicle (car, bike, boat, airplane, etc) becomes vastly easier when you associate with others who are into the same type of vehicle projects you're looking to score!

For example, you're into bikes right now, so you naturally know who to talk to, where to go, and how to turn up motorcycle projects easily...but older cars may seem tricky.

Hang around here a while, check out other message boards catering to older hot rods and customs, and hit any local cruise spots near you. Meet and talk to people who are into old cars, and become a part of their world. Pretty soon, you'll be able to take your pick of cool project cars!

(I got my current project car from a friend I met on a message board...an abandoned, neglected 49 Chevy that hadn't run since the Ford Administration! I've also had the chance to score MANY other cool old car projects since I became involved with the hobby and made many new friends who are into these cars as well! I just don't have the room or money to pick up all the cool deals I come across!)

Be patient, make friends and network a little...you'll be up to your eyeballs in potential project cars before you even realize it...then there'll be NO saving you! Muuwahahahaahahaha!!!

:D  :wink:  :P

EisenMark

No, not in Toronto but in Louisville, Colorado (the other Louisville).

Thanks for the replies here - one thing that it seems that I need to do but haven't done is hit the show circuit.  Is there a website that has a nation-wide scope for what shows are when and where?

tnx to all - Mark

Quote from: "oiler"I decided on what I wanted to build by local shows
And went searching from there.
I've got a question for you,
Are you located in Toronto Ontario?
I know someone there that has reverse of your nickname for his name.

tomslik

Quote from: "EisenMark"No, not in Toronto but in Louisville, Colorado (the other Louisville).

looks like you're just down the road from me.
what are ya looking for?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Jimc

I have had success in the local want ads, however, the last, my current, found me.
I have found another if I can sell the current(32 Vicky Hiboy) a 37project with all the body work done and a large list of new parts.
It is even in bare metal, so it is ready for finish body and paint and reassembly.
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

EMSjunkie

take your time and look around. don't jump into a project without doing your homework first. I decided to build a fiberglass car, thought it would be easier and less expensive than trying to find a steel car. after three years of building, I'm not sure if I made the right choice, too late now. make sure you have a realistic view of what you want the finished product to be like.
good luck

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

OldSub

Quote from: "EisenMark"No, not in Toronto but in Louisville, Colorado
How far is Louisville from Delta?  There is a car lot on the main drag through Delta with several dozen cars I wanted to drag home.  A few weeks ago I saw things like a '37 Plymouth, somes 40's stuff, a 50's Cadillac, Pontiac and Buick along with some 60's stuff.

We're remodling our kitchen, but hadn't spent any money yet.  I was sitting there with a trailer.  My wife's glad I resisted, but I'll be there again some day!

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

EisenMark

Yeah, I'm thinking that this is real good advice from the get-go.   I still have some convincing to do with my wife - she's got a good memory

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"take your time and look around. don't jump into a project without doing your homework first. I decided to build a fiberglass car, thought it would be easier and less expensive than trying to find a steel car. after three years of building, I'm not sure if I made the right choice, too late now. make sure you have a realistic view of what you want the finished product to be like.
good luck

Vance

EisenMark

Louisville is north of Denver - not  necessarily in your neck of the woods but really only a day's drive.  You're out in the mountains, right?  

My wife is looking over my shoulder as I type this, also with thoughts of remodeling the kitchen running through her head....

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "EisenMark"No, not in Toronto but in Louisville, Colorado
How far is Louisville from Delta?  There is a car lot on the main drag through Delta with several dozen cars I wanted to drag home.  A few weeks ago I saw things like a '37 Plymouth, somes 40's stuff, a 50's Cadillac, Pontiac and Buick along with some 60's stuff.

We're remodling our kitchen, but hadn't spent any money yet.  I was sitting there with a trailer.  My wife's glad I resisted, but I'll be there again some day!

OldSub

Quote from: "EisenMark"Louisville is north of Denver - not  necessarily in your neck of the woods but really only a day's drive.  You're out in the mountains, right?

Delta isn't my neck of the woods either.  I'm 8 or 10 miles west of Seattle.  I drove through Delta a couple weeks ago.  Actually, came south from Wyoming through Denver and may have passed your neighborhood.  My destination was Canon City, and we returned over Monarch Pass and into Utah.

Its 11 PM when we're driving through Delta and I spotted a car lot full of old cars.  We stopped and took pictures.

This is the one I most wanted to drag home.  

This was my son's choice.  Must have been a few dozen cars all but a couple of them pre-1970, and some back in the 30's.

I took this in case I wanted to follow up later.  I don't know what the area code would be, 719 maybe?

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com