Rustoleum Hammered -Pints

Started by 58Apache, September 30, 2010, 10:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

My neighbor is using Rustoleum brush-on hammered look in pint cans. The black is not a deep dark black, but I have to admit it looks pretty good once it's applied.

Anyone have any experience before I decide on what to use on my truck frame?

Digger

I like the Rustoleum Hammered finishes. I have used them on several roll cages and race car chassis. I am not sure how durable it would be for a truck frame though. the directions tell you it is for brush only but I have been spraying it for years with really nice results. Just thin it a bit with lacquer thinner first. :)

Digger
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Canuck

I've found it goes on nicer when sprayed, get a more even hammered effect.  However have to put it on a little thick, light mist coats don't have enough paint thickness to hammer,  Experament first.

Have fun.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

chimp koose

I used the stuff on a trailer frame once. I would not do it again unless there was a way to overcoat it for protection. The stuff looks great, but has little resistance to road rash.

Mac

I have sold the hammered finish in my paint store and used it on a few things myself. Orig. it was sold as Hammerite until Rustoleum gobbled up the brand. I'm not sure if the product has been changed; this does tend to happen after an "acquisition". I found it to hold up real well both indoors and out but not where it will be subject to road blasting. It didn't last on my camper's trailer tounge, for instance; like Chimp's critique. Also, the look is not for everywhere. The hammered effect can look like you've painted over badly pitted and scaly metal so I don't think it's good for chassis paint.
I did use the copper color in rattle can for baseboard heaters and it looks fine.
Who\'s yer Data?