350 turbo / 200r swap

Started by WZ JUNK, September 21, 2010, 12:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I did some reading on the net but I thought I would ask for some input.  I would like to know about any problems that might come up in switching out a 350 for a 200r.  It looks like the total length is the same and that you can use the same driveshaft but the transmission mount needs to be relocated.  Are there other problems?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

John, I think the bell area is just a little fatter - at least it is on a 700r4 - I had to open up the tunnel on the '40 a tad. That's all that comes to mind.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

48ford

The trannys are the same length.
The 200s body is wider as it goes back,this was a problem with my frames X brace,but easy to work with.
You need to lock up the torque converter
adjust the TV cable.
And plug the vaccume hose as the 200 will not need it.
The flexplate is  the same as is the slip yoke,
The speedo cable slips right in too.
I ended up with a rear gear of 3:79 and it worked out nice.
Hope this helps
Russ

Learpilot

Read all the articles on adjusting the tv cable. There are some good ones on this forum and on the net. If you get it wrong it could do expensive damage.
I have a 3.55 rear gear and it works fine. Just don't have to high a gear ratio or you will not get good gas mileage. You will need 1800 to 2200 rpm at cruise speed to get good gas mileage.
I wired my converter to lock up in 4th gear only. I got it off ebay for about $20.00. It is the one wire type, that uses an open ground  and the 4th gear switch to make the ground to lock the converter. I also have a switch on the power side to turn off the lock up plus the brake light switch to turn it off when I brake. It is easier to do than to explain.
I don't have a 200r, I have a 700r and love it.
Rick

phat rat

John, it depends on which lenght tailshaft your 350 has. If it's a 6" the 200R is the same lenght. If it's the 9" tail then the 700R is only 1/16 longer. When I went from a 350 to the 700 in the cpe I didn't have to change anything but the trans mount
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.