Mystery motor??

Started by Inprimer, September 18, 2010, 12:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inprimer

Went to Thur  nite cruze, there was a Not important (rat rod) I won't comment further, the small block had a set of Hemi valve covers and a box shaped like a box of shoes on top of the manifold with 3, I think '97's  on it with no linkage, the distr was in the back like a Chev, 4 zoomies like a chev BUT the starter was on the left side of the block. The local experts (yea)said it was a Chev, then a Buick (not)  I guessed on my fading memory that it was an Olds,I remember that JC WHitney used to sell starter adapter plates to  move the starter to the right side in order to clear the steering shaft . Its not a question of AM I  RIGHT per say, I'm checking on my memory bank........... any comments ??   This retirement thing (8) yrs has me wondering about  all sotrs of trivial stuff. Need a job to keep focused LOL.

wayne petty

one thing..  next time you replace your cell phone.. be sure that it has a camera... and takes a memory card...  not just a sim card

with a memory card... you can take it out.. stick it into a USB card adaptor stick it into any computer.. and drag the pictures out and right to the hard drive...   saves needing to install software and trying to figure out how to download them... without sending them out of your computer to some place on the net where you will never find them...

a picture is worth a million guesses...

tomslik

ummmm,chevy starters are ON the right hand side....
lh side has the oil filter in the way...

intake sounds like a modified early tunnel ram (edelbrock TR-1 i think was the model number)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelbrock-TR-1-Tunnel-Ram-Duel-Quad-Intake-Manifold-/260622184684?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Race_Car_Parts
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

Some of those clues might lead to an 273, 318. 340, 360 Chrysler product motor. They have the distributor in the back and the starter on the driver's side. The center exhaust ports on the heads are close together (although they have a third bolt between them). That "shoe box" might have a carb in it and the three carbs on the top of the box might just be dummies for looks and just let air into the box for the hidden carb. GPster

Inprimer

Quote from: "GPster"Some of those clues might lead to an 273, 318. 340, 360 Chrysler product motor. They have the distributor in the back and the starter on the driver's side. The center exhaust ports on the heads are close together (although they have a third bolt between them). That "shoe box" might have a carb in it and the three carbs on the top of the box might just be dummies for looks and just let air into the box for the hidden carb. GPster
If I see it again I'll take a pix, I'm so comp/phone illiterate it's embarrasing,The front of the block indeed looked like a mopar, maybe you  are on the right track.The center two header pipes  were together. thanks for the replys   IP

parklane

How about a Y block Ford. Exhaust is similar to a SBC, dist at rear, not sure about starter though.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Rrumbler

One way I use to sort out the different looking engines is to look at the location of the sparkplugs; on a small block Chevy, they go into the head almost straight from the sides horizontal to the ground, and most others, especially those with the plugs above the exhaust ports, they go into the head from more to the top, and and more vertically, and the manifolds are underneath the plugs.  So many engines have that 1-2-1 port configuration that that is no good indication, in and of itself.  The valve covers are a bit unusual, and make me think they may be some of those "poser" things, trying to look loke something they are not; that intake - ???? Maybe what GPster said?
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.