floor jack brands

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 18, 2010, 09:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

my old floor jack gave up.  about 30 yrs old i think.

guess i need to visit Harbor freight and look around.  I want a full size floor jack , not the compact design

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

I know how you feel. Mine has been rebuilt 3 times. As far as I know there are no more jack repair guys around here. The last guy had a hard time getting seals.

I have a HF unit as backup now. 2 ton, low profile, 19-1/2" total lift, 2-3/4" minimum. Works good. I believe it might be on sale presently.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

The problem nowdays is that most if not all are made overseas. I've got a Sears floorjack (not a compact) that I bought back in the 70's and it still works great. But since the mid 90's when I wanted second jack I've gone through at least 3 others.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Glen

I have the larger sized Sears jack too

I like the two pump design that jumps up to the car quickly, then once there is weight on the jack it pumps like a normal floor jack.

wayne petty

one might really want to carve this name into something..

for seals and O rings..  

A C De Puydt Co
5843 Sheila St
Commerce, CA 90040-2321
(323) 721-4800

http://acdepuydt.com/about_us/acd_history.htm

http://acdepuydt.com/store_front/main_menu_main.htm

http://acdepuydt.com/special_seals/seal_dimension_info.htm

when i call around. looking for seals nearby.. i always get referred to this place..

oh... and my last trip over there i picked up some large silicone orings  in the right section diameter to make locks unpickable and unbumpable

taxpyer

I have  two bottle and one floor 3 ton jack and my engine hoist jack,,,,, ALL bleed down and ALL are off shore. Makes me wonder just how much money I really saved buying them. :roll:  Any one know of any "brand name" jacks?
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

wayne petty

Quote from: "taxpyer"I have  two bottle and one floor 3 ton jack and my engine hoist jack,,,,, ALL bleed down and ALL are off shore. Makes me wonder just how much money I really saved buying them. :roll:  Any one know of any "brand name" jacks?

OTC

Hein Warner

Lincoln

but there maybe imported models in there mix also...

take a look at this link...

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/36000-36999/36396.pdf

its the instructions for a tall engine lift jack...   most jacks can come apart in a few minutes .... get measured..  seals ordered..

check  balls ...  check ball seats...   pump rod pistons and upper seals...

but leaking down is usually caused by the piston seal ....

that is accessed by cleaning and then draining the jack... loosening the big nut on the top... so the piston rod is free to come out..

you might want to also check the cylinder...   it unscrews...  don't dent the ends of the outer jacket..... it seals metal to metal...

life is getting harder becoming a third world country.. where most manufacturing jobs have left...

Crosley.In.AZ

HF  jack bought with 20% discount coupon from a cycle magazine... this jack looks so much like the 30 yr old unit that puked.  Must be nock off copy of the old jack.

8)

change is good
Tony

river1

if it is an old quality jack you be miles ahead to rebuild it. there is a company that advertises on craigslist here in town that rebuilds them. i don't know the quality of the company tho. an alternative is to check out Hiball on www.garagejournal.com , he will supply quality parts and advice for most all old brands.

what brand was it?

a few months back i picked up an old walker long chassis jack that needs a rebuild. after i get around to it i figure it will out live me 8)

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"
what brand was it?

later jim

My old jack is orange.  no name on it.  Stickers long gone... i would think a 'jack guy' would look at it and say :   8)
Tony

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "river1"
what brand was it?

later jim

My old jack is orange.  no name on it.  Stickers long gone... i would think a 'jack guy' would look at it and say :   8)

sounds like the same jack i got about 30 years ago. mine still has the stickers and says made in china. i still serves me well :D  if it dies it is getting trashed :roll:

later jim

model a vette

I bought a Hein Werner 2 ton for my son-in-law in February.
They have 2 and 3 ton jacks made in the USA even though the parent company is in China.
I think it was worth the money to get a US made jack.
tooldiscounter.com
It came to $306.26 with shipping.
Ed

taxpyer

Thanks Wayne,,,,,,,,,, as always great advise. :wink:  My jacks are all lower end. I always look for the seam in the cylinder wall then I know that at least it didn't leak when it was a water pipe. :shock:  When will I learn? :?  Oh well, at least it has taught me the need for jack stands,,,,, wait a minute,, they're off shore too. :roll:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Crosley.In.AZ

I may check in on a seal for this old jack... if I can fix it for a few bucks, then I have 2 jacks.

I did disassemble the old one friday eve... cleaned stuff , checked stuff.  Seal on the main shaft seems hard, not sure how hard is too hard..  :shock:

After re-assembly the jack would pump up and hold on the bench. It would not do that previous to cleaning.  It will not jack up any thing when weight is on the jack
Tony

river1

tony check the stickies post on garage journal, there is a tutorial on rebuilding an import jack. it may have the seal hardness answer for you.

later jim