One of the Green Monster cars

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 15, 2010, 08:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

we had a fellow by the shop today  with Arfon's allison powered drag  car.  This is suppose to be number 5 car , an actual car restored , not a reproduced car.

Purty dang neat to look at the engineering it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

Saw the Green Monster run many times in the mid 60's at U.S.131 Dragway here in Mi. I have no idea which number it was
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Digger

Saw one of them run a couple of times at the old Oswego Drag Strip. They weren't too quick because they had to leave the line at almost idle because of no traction from the slicks that were available at the time. Lots of smoke and a great show though.
Looks like a great restoration  :)
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Beck

I'd love to get my hands on one of those engines in running condition. Since they are not used in the unlimited hydros anymore I wonder if the demand for them has decreased. I would imagine they are about all used up.

GPster

Quote from: "Beck"I'd love to get my hands on one of those engines in running condition. Since they are not used in the unlimited hydros anymore I wonder if the demand for them has decreased. I would imagine they are about all used up.
There was a guy here that was using them in Modified Pulling Tractors. He was taking  13 speed (?) transmissions out of semi s and mix/matching gears out of them to run behind them. It seemed that he would occasionally find a motor in Texas. Were they used there for irrigation pump motors? I've heard that the P51 "Mustang" plane from WWII were originally built with Allison motors in them but they were changed over to Rolls Royce Merlin motors. Probably a lot of interesting information out there about them. GPster

kb426

You have some interesting visitors there.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

That is way cool.  Dad worked on the Allison and Rolls Royce engines in the Air Force.  He's very firm that the Rolls was a better built, better performing engine.  Not that it'd make a lot of difference on 4 wheels instead of 2 wings.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

It looks a lot better than it ever did when Arfons owned it. He was not much for show, but a lot for go.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

47convert

We were in Art Crisman's shop last year and he had one there that he was restoring for someone. Pretty crude welds originally. I'm sure it looked a lot better when Art was done with it.