Leaky trans pan

Started by Mac, September 08, 2010, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

We did a fluid and filter change on my son's `74 Dodge Charger (318 std duty Torqueflight) and now the pan leaks a bit.
I flattened any distortion around the pan's bolt holes and used Ultra Grey sealant both sides of the new gasket.
Maybe the Ultra Grey was a bad choice?
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

grey sealer....  should work.... i usually install them dry....

i try to use the transmission pan gaskets from the transmission parts stores..

rigid flat gaskets.. never folded..

if you got a cork gasket that was folded in the package...   it might have cracked do to age when you flattened it out...

check the parts stores... the AZ stores have a Torqueflite filter kit for RWD transmissions that comes with a black rubber folded gasket...  i was really impressed with it...  

try a AZ  it comes with both gaskets..
Part Number:   TF127 from  Champion Laboratories, Inc.    7.49 at my az..

oh... does the pan fit flat without rocking when placed up there without a gasket...

one more thing... i have used torqueflite front pump sealing washers on transmission pan bolts to seal them tight..   these have to be gotten from a transmission parts supplier...  i have used them a lot on GM applications..
stops the drips around the bolt heads...

there may be other applications for the sealing washers...  some transmission guy might know..

at least you did not use yellow superweatherstripadhesive to install the pan gasket... i used to run into them once in a while... took 5 minutes to buff the glue off on the wire wheel...   somebody ask me which superweatherstripadhesive i liked better.. mmm or ptx...   the ptx..  it takes 3 days to get off my finger tips.. the mmm comes off in 2...

is there any chance that the shift shaft seal is leaking??? or the throttle valve shaft Oring ????   dropping the valve body is not that hard on a TF...

use a big nut and bolt with a flat washer to pull the new seal into the top of the case...    the oring fits on the top of the shift shaft where the smaller shaft sticks through... i think... its been a bunch of years since i did one...

Mac

Thanks Wayne!
A great, in depth reply like we've come to expect from you. The TV and shift shaft areas are dry. So is the dip stick tube after a new O ring.
The filter kit came from the Zone or maybe Advance and it had the flat rubber style gasket.
I think I'll start with seals for the pan bolts. Good tip there. At least I can do them -one at a time- and not have to drop the pan. Uhh...I should prolly get 2 sets, in case I end up pulling the pan anyway. I'm sure they're one time use.
Who\'s yer Data?

Crosley.In.AZ

the ticket with silly cone on a gasket is to lightly tighten the bolts and let the silly cone setup , then tighten down fully

I do not use cork gaskets if possible on trans pan..  I use the paper tyoe with glues on both sides.  No need for sealant added on.

leaks around bolts often indicate a crack or bent pan rail where the bolt hole is located
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)