73-87 X member on '49 1 ton chevy panel frame

Started by Danimal, August 14, 2010, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

I'm also not thrilled with the position of the steering box in relation to the steering column through hole in the firewall. I think it's off by about 4".

I've seen the body weight of the panel somewhere. One item to remember is how heavy the frame is on this thing. I think I could upgrade to a lighter, more modern frame and still keep some capacity with it. I still would lean towards a 3/4 or 1 ton, though.

Danimal

According to the 1949 Restoration Manual...

1 ton pickup body (3804): 405 pounds
1 ton panel body (3805): 1112 pounds

I guess there is a bit of weight difference!!

Danimal

The heavy half I have has a GVWR of 7200...hmmmm...

OldSub

Quote from: "Danimal"According to the 1949 Restoration Manual...

1 ton pickup body (3804): 405 pounds
1 ton panel body (3805): 1112 pounds

I guess there is a bit of weight difference!!
Does the pickup body weight include the box?

I guess I'm thinking the box must weigh a couple hundred at least, and I've moved enough cabs to think 400 would be about right.

Can you post the link to the page where you found this.  I don't remember seeing it and I look things like this up in the online resto packs all the time.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Danimal

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/4954.htm

I forgot a line, the CAB itself is listed at 630 pounds so add the 405 of the fenders, hood, bed, etc. to it and the sheet metal must show to be about 1035 pounds. It would be hard to believe that it is 1072 for a 1/2 ton panel and 1112 for a 1 ton panel with everything on it.

I may have to bring the scales home...I've got a disassemble-able pickup!

phat rat

Think about it. The only difference between the two bodywise is the sheet metal from bed height up and the roof. That amount of sheet metal isn't going to weigh a lot
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Danimal

I expected more than 75-80 pounds. The back of the truck cab probably cuts off the rear portion of the panel so all that would be different is the strip of metal from the belt line over the roof and the door guts. I thought there would have to be a bit more than that, though, in the inner walls of the panel body.

I figured it had to be in the nature of at least 200 pounds heavier.

OldSub

The previous button shows I've recently been on the page just before but has never seen this page.

Now I'm going to have to look at every page for '54 to try to find a similar chart.

Thanks Dan!

Steve@OldSub.com

Danimal

Quote from: "OldSub"The previous button shows I've recently been on the page just before but has never seen this page.

Now I'm going to have to look at every page for '54 to try to find a similar chart.

Thanks Dan!

I didn't go through EVERY page but I certainly didn't have it jump out at me for the '54s. I bookmarked the '49 long ago for another project and just kind of rely on that.

Danimal

Thought about checking Crown Vic but looks like it's been looked at already...a bit too wide, maybe!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=391548&highlight=crown+vic&page=2

Danimal

Well, today I went to bolt in the steering box to see how bad it really was and 2 of the 3 bolt hole either don't line up or are impossible to get to because the stock spring hanger ends are still riveted into the frame. I am not taking stock to see if an MII will be better or even a Danforth kit. I don't think I want to fight with a radiator/steering box clearance issue, though...

mrloboy

Quote from: "Danimal"OK. I've decided I'm tired of being sick and we need to clean up around here so we are starting on Eli's 1 ton panel truck. As some may recall, it has a '79 Heavy Half cross member welded with 1/2" plate to the frame.

The problem is the steering box looks like it's going to be set out too far because the guy who put the plates on made them run all the way down the frame past the box. I can see I'll already have a clearance issue with the body of the box because it would have a frame that is "indented" to accept it and this is flat plate.

Anyone have an idea what the frame dimensions should be at this point of the 73-87 frame? I'm thinking of going on a "measurement" hunt at the local truck yard. I certainly hope I don't have to cut these plates off because they are seriously ON THERE. Eli will get some pictures shortly so you can see my quandry.

I don't think going back to "stock" is an option with this frame.

I have done a couple Mustang II crossmembers in these one tons and they work very well. I used heidts kits designed for pickups and modified them for the heavier big brother rails. Both sit nice and low and are very sturdy and comfortable to drive. One of the trucks is a one ton pickup with a 9 ft box. The owner opted to retain the length and with this thing on the ground it is LONG. He has thousands of miles on it and wouldn't change a thing. The front bumper is about 5 inches from the pavement and comfortably tows a camper. The other chassis I did was on a one ton panel. We did it the same way on the front, but swapped in rear suspension from an early 80's Chevy 1/2 ton with a mid 70's chevelle rear end. This works fantastic! Sits great  and has good hauling capacity. Both trucks are running 8" Corvette Ralley wheels with no clearance issues. If you can salvage your original frame, I would suggest you consider this direction. It is simple and proven. If you need a frame, I can probably help you. I have a fairly extensive stock of old Chevy truck parts. Love 'em!

OldSub

Quote from: "Danimal"I am not taking stock to see if an MII will be better or even a Danforth kit.
Doesn't the Danforth kit use a rack and pinion?

Provided it does, I'd be more inclined to go that way than a MII.  At least your component options include parts designed for a small truck instead of a small car.  The Mustang and S-10 likely weight about the same but the GVWR of the S-10 should be higher.

I wish we had better options.

Steve@OldSub.com

Danimal

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "Danimal"I am now taking stock to see if an MII will be better or even a Danforth kit.
Doesn't the Danforth kit use a rack and pinion?

Provided it does, I'd be more inclined to go that way than a MII.  At least your component options include parts designed for a small truck instead of a small car.  The Mustang and S-10 likely weight about the same but the GVWR of the S-10 should be higher.

I wish we had better options.

Scott does have mounts for the R&P. I went and read his post on the HAMB Classifieds last night.

I would like to know more about the one tons that mrlowboy has done. What did you do for the rear frame and floor? C notch and widen the rear tubs? Got any pictures of the panel? That's be great!

Danimal

mrlowboy says they still haul trailers with the two they've done so it can't all be bad. I've located the rear suspension for a '73-87 and hope to pick up that tomorrow. Going to be lots of rivet removal in the next few days. Eli will be learning to run a grinder and wearing gloves and safety shields!

Frank stopped out and suggested that I look at later model wheels (GMT400) and they did pull in about 1" but there isn't much clearance between the tie rod end and the rim. Anyone know if they made larger 5 on 5s from the factory like 16" or 17"? I can find aftermarket stuff now so I'm sure there is something out there. I'll check with my contacts at GM next week as well.

Maybe by the end of the weekend, we'll have something to look at. I'm debating about popping the body off of the frame and setting it off to the side so we can do all the frame work without fighting that. I think it would help.

We'll take pictures!