My Chevelle - I'm no Smokey, but ...

Started by 58Apache, August 13, 2010, 05:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

Here's my Chevelle making it's debut at the NSRA Nats. I have over 8 years of my life invested in this with hundreds of man hours. While I didn't do everything, I did most of it myself, learning as I went.

I sanded and sanded and sanded some more, then got the door gaps just gnats rear right on using Enjenjo's advice.

I hired an air brush artist, guided by my wife and daughter's directions,  to put those realistic flames over my first paint job ever on a car ....black with a small blue metal flake.

Nobody notices anything but those damned flames ...and I didn't do them!

Steve

58Apache

While I am no Smokey, this thing has more modifications than I can remember.

Starting with tall spindles and 12 inch disc brakes ....factory OEM style that were made for a limited production of Camaros (1LE).

The front drive is a serpentine system from a modern 454 truck engine. ALL lights on this are LED's except the headlights and they are on relays.

A 1978 Truck new radiator, a fan shroud from another truck and an 18 inch fan on a clutch. I have about 1/4 inch clearance in the shroud..maybe less.

I used a Haywire E series wiring harness, a Vintage Air will keep it cool, and the 396 Enjenjo sold me is now riding at 410 cubes with some moderate performance items.

Ceramic coated headers, feed into an x pipe ...all 3 inch until a reduction to 2 1/2 to go into Flowmaster 70 series mufflers.

GM 12 bolt posi with 3:73 gears ... Centerforce clutch

The tranny ...well you wouldn't believe me so better ask Enjenjo... he sold it to me.

enjenjo

QuoteThe tranny ...well you wouldn't believe me so better ask Enjenjo... he sold it to me.

The trans is a New Process 4 speed out of a Chevy truck, with 4th gear being an overdrive gear.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58Apache

It seems to do fine! With the torque I have I can take off in second without much of a problem. The 3:73 rear gears work well with it to keep highway RPMS down and give me enough gears for take off.

Oh yeah I forgot that the main piece of re-engineering I did was to add a pulley to the serpentine system to allow the water pump to turn in the normal direction. The car stayed at 180 just fine at Louisville.

I replaced all factory gauges with Autometer Cobalt series. The Speedo and Tach went in the same position as the factory units.

Working on a custom console now, but my wife made these door panels for me.

57larry

very nice looking car. can your wife do my door panels?

tom36

I'd be proud if it was mine.  Tom...

jaybee

Nice car!  Feels great to have it on the road I'll bet.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

reborn55

Very nice car--looks like a real fun car to drive );b(

348tripower

Don Colliau

Very nice car! What modifications were done to the rear to accommodate the rear tires/wheels?
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Mac

Nice, nice car! I wouldn't mind seeing a few more pics from different angles.
A buddy of mine had a `69 Vel back in 74-75. Built 396, forcefeed, AR daiseys, in dark, dark blue. It's what I picture in my mental scrapbook when I think musclecar.  8)
Who\'s yer Data?

UGLY OLDS

Neat car .... 8)   NICE door panels .... :b-d:

My only problem with " the Muscle car era"  is that I remember doing warranty repairs on them...... :cry:    :lol:  :lol:

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58Apache

57 Larry: I'll ask her if you are serious?

40: I did a LOT of research and viewing what other guys did to make double danged sure I had the correct backspacing and knew the limits of what the stock fender wells could handle. I did leave the fender wells at stock width, but the lip on the quarter panel was bent up after I found it cutting into the back tires when I hit a bump. That gave me more room, but I can tell if I hit a bump hard enough it may still hit the quarter wheel edge. I also took what the guys said was the max you could get in there and dropped it down just a tad to be safe and still ran into those issues. I am working on the air shocks now. Those back tires are 295/60 R15 if I remember right. Supposedly I could have went to 305/60 R15 but I wanted to "be safe".

Here's a pic from the rear angle as I was coming through the gates in Louisville. Per request.

_Drewfus_

your paintjob (both the flames and the black) look great (at least from where I'm sitting :wink:  :D ), ditto on the panel work, any engine bay shots?

And after 8 years, are you happy with the outcome? looks like fun to me, credit to you.

Cheers,

Drewfus :D
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

rumrumm

Nice ride, Steve. Perhaps I can see it in person next year. Kudos to your wife on those door panels. Nice work!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com