oil leak on driveway

Started by 53stvblt, August 07, 2010, 08:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

53stvblt

Whats the best way to clean up oil drips from cement driveways?

Thanks, Bud

34ford

My mom's old car leaves a spot each time she comes. It might not be EPA approved but I use lacquer thinner and a wire brush, then clean it with some soapy water and over time you can't see it anymore. Or when I have the power washer hooked up I blast it out after the soapy water treatment.

bc

river1

i use kitty litter and grind it in with my feet. i leave it there for a few days then wash it out. stays lookin pretty good.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

I do it similar to River1, but I squirt a little diesel fuel or kerosine on it first, it helps to lift the soot out of the concrete.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "river1"i use kitty litter and grind it in with my feet. later jim
Unused ,I hope. GPster

Leon

The used stuff leaves a completely different stain  :shock:

jaybee

A little laundry detergent can help.  TriSodium Phosphate (TSP) is sometimes recommended to pull up oil stains before putting down floor coatings.  That would surely work.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Leon"The used stuff leaves a completely different stain  :shock:

Yes, but it's biodegradable :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Harry

When you're finished with the scrubbing, sprinkle some cement powder on it and rub it in. It hides what ever is left.

river1

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "river1"i use kitty litter and grind it in with my feet. later jim
Unused ,I hope. GPster

yup

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

BFS57

Hello;
My HOA is always sending me letters about the spots in my driveway. So... I took my Chevy to a local shop (Highly Recommended) and had the guy put on a new pan, gasket, ect. Thing leaks worse now than it did first!! Going to take it back tomorrow. First time, It was there over two weeks!!
I also have tried TSP, but any more it is almost impossible to find the "real" stuff. I got an article that said that you mix tsp with talcom powder into a paste, let it set and then sweep it up, it helped a bit. Then I tried paint thinner, It didn't help as much. Next kitty Litter, ground in with a piece of wood! It didn't get the job done either! Then I used the muriatic Acid! That stuff  didn't work very well either!!
I also used my 2500 PSI Pressure washer, it helped. I just have to get the darn car from leaking!!!! I even put a drip pan under it!!!

Bruce

Mikej

I didn't know you had to clean up oil spots. I thought they were suppose to be there. :oops:    But try brake clean, broom and clean kitty litter. You need to dance in the kitty litter before you sweep it up. We used to use parts cleaner but that probably incorrect now. You could park in front of the neighbors :shock:

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: BFS57Hello;
My HOA is always sending me letters about the spots in my driveway.

Just tell your HOA it is not leaking ...It's "marking it's territory" ....That should keep'em busy .... :?

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

truck

my best results have been pour white spirits on the oil then cover with saw dust or similar.

wayne petty

i keep looking at this thread and giggling...

a bunch of years ago...

somebody towed their chevy van to my house..    dropped it off at the end of the driveway.. then left before helping me get it to the back where i could work on it...  they said something about an oil leak...

i checked the oil..  just above the end of the stick.. but enough to run 30 seconds...    it left a streak of oil 6 inches wide as i backed up..

i grabbed my big bag of oil absorbent..  started pouring a trail of it to cover and absorb the streak...   by the time i got to the far end of the spill... the local cats had seen the streak of cat litter.. and 3 of them were rolling in it..  all happy...  only one got down into the oil...  :lol:

another friend called me on my cell he had just blown his gasket off the oil filter..  huge oil spill..    i called the local AZ store i was about to pass.. ask if they had any bags of oil absorbent..     they ask me what weight oil did i want..    i guess he had never hear of it...  :lol: