chromable filler

Started by ragdol, July 27, 2010, 12:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragdol

I'm trying to save a '58 Ford bumper for customer. Is there a filler of some sort that will take chrome? Thanks, Larry

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

wayne petty

Quote from: "ragdol"I'm trying to save a '58 Ford bumper for customer. Is there a filler of some sort that will take chrome? Thanks, Larry

is the surface of the bumper rusted????

is it rusted through from the back...

is it rusted away at the edges?????

normally ... you can have the chrome and nickel stripped off the bumper.. many times even the copper coating..

this is done at chrome shops...  at request..  then you can cut.. weld.. patch.. slice .. shorten.. bend.. unbend..     grind..  fill with weld...

sometimes it's better to start with a fresher bumper from some desert source...    

if the surface rust is really really bad...    there are a hand full of places.. that do spray welding...     where they have a spray gun that blows powdered metal or wire welding rod though an arc to deposit it on the surface of the item  being built up....

i always wondered about using it to build up brake drums wear surfaces for impossible to get brake drums..

this is used to repair cylinder heads...  where cracks are carved out and refilled..

wow... these guys have it down...  perhaps.. you might call these guys and strip the bumper.. have a new surface applied.. then you can sand it back down to a smooth finish.. then have it rechromed..

enjenjo

What kind of issues are we dealing with?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragdol

this bumper had a bumper hitch, & the bumper holes were all pulled in. I tried to straighten the best I could. Welding in bolts for smooth bumper, & still have some filling to do. I'm afraid that my welding skills may not be such that I wouldn't warp, suck in, the holes making it worse.

enjenjo

Ok. First remove the chrome. You can straighten it with a hammer and dolley, weld the holes up, and file smooth. If the holes are large, use a filler plug to minimise warping. Use a guide coat, and block sand to find any imperfections. You can restore any shape you need with more hammer and dolley work, even some heat if needed. Any minor impefections can be filled with brass, and filed smooth. A good chrome shop can take it from there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragdol

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.