Patch panels

Started by 57larry, July 20, 2010, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57larry

I'm starting a new project, a 72 Chevy C-10 pickup. It's going to need rockers and some floor patch panels. I want to use 19 gauge panels.  Who sells the best panels? ABP, Sherman? thanks

chris spokes

he who has the most toys wins

Digger

OK heres my 2 cents worth. I've been doing this stuff for more years than i'd like to count and I have come to the conclusion that all patch panels are crap and some are just worse than others. Stay away from anything that says Schott on it and don't expect anything to fit right off the bat.
I have bought from the discount people,swap meet guys and big name places and have come to believe it all comes from the same place in China.

Digger
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

57larry

I was thinking it all came from Sherman from China

enjenjo

Source countries vary. Some Tiawan, some China, some Italy, Some Canada, and some even US made.  The best are from Canada.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Digger

I guess I should have qualified that statement, there are actually a lot of panels for 30s and 40s cars that are quality made. I was pretty much referring to the stuff you get for late 50s on up cars and trucks. I'm sure I have not tried every one on the market but I have used a lot of different ones and the quality in general sucks. For floors and some corners I usually fabricate them myself.

Digger

UGLY OLDS

Look at  these folks ..I have had decent luck with their panels ...As has been said before ,very few older vehicle body's  were straight to begin with ..... My son's '37 Dodge had a 3/8" difference in door openings from side to side ...From the factory...  :shock:

http://www.emsautomotive.com/

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Digger

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Look at  these folks ..I have had decent luck with their panels ...As has been said before ,very few older vehicle body's  were straight to begin with ..... My son's '37 Dodge had a 3/8" difference in door openings from side to side ...From the factory...  :shock:

http://www.emsautomotive.com/

Bob ...... :wink:

He is looking for parts for a 1972 pickup, EMS only goes to 1954

Digger

UGLY OLDS

QuoteHe is looking for parts for a 1972 pickup, EMS only goes to 1954
[/quote]

And you thought keeping my "First  Member of Team Smart" title was easy ,huh   :?:

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

I hope the 67 - 72   rocker panels built today are better than the stuff I used 15 -  18 yrs ago... was poor quality.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)