Engine question from Taxpyr

Started by enjenjo, July 15, 2010, 11:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Just today I was telling a couple of guys about RRT. We were starting the pinto engine in my 47 Willys for the first time. All went well and after they left I, in all my analness, I put a new plate over the EGR valve body below the carb. While I was cleaning this out I thought I'd just clean out some of the old carbon that was there. Well I managed to get some out but not before I knocked some into the intake manifold where it was quickly sucked into the intake valves holding them open when I tried to start it and now it won't start. I'm not telling you this because I want you to know how stupid I am but to say that my first thought was to ask someone on here about how I can clear the valves out without pulling the intake or head.
Don't close this down. It's a high quality hobby specific forum. We need it. To lose it would be a real shame. Please hang in there. It's like having this "brother" out there who is always happy to lend a hand.

enjenjo

It won't start at all? that makes it more difficult.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Frank is there two of you now?  :D  :lol:  
Anyway how about compressed air thourh the spark plug holes to try to blow the carbon back out.

GPster

Might run a quick compression test to see what cylinder (s) are effected.Just an odd ball thought, maybe it made it past the valve and mashed the gap on a spark plug closed. GPster

wayne petty

brake parts cleaners and carb spray cleaners will melt carbon residue..

long long tubes are available for WD 40 cans..

air shock tubing works also...  but might melt..

rigid tiny vacuum line from the parts store can also be used.. but again .. it might melt.. its usually kept near the PCV valves and grommets out on the sales floor..

is it possible that the carbon held the valve open... and the cam follower kicked off its post..

this has happened before..  

compression test...

and depending on the year..  you may have to use the adaptor that came with it.. as most pinto motors use part threaded spark plugs.. so a normal short reach compression tester may not work...