Security for your hot rod

Started by WZ JUNK, July 13, 2010, 08:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Recent developments have made me think more about how to insure our specialty vehicles are not taken by thieves.  I have been thinking about an antitheft device for some time.  I thought I would put the idea out here and let you poke holes in my proposal before I make one.  

I intend to drill four holes 90 degrees apart in one of the front disc brake rotors with each hole located just between the inner fin.  A receiver hitch lock or a bolt with a nylock nut could be placed through two of these holes on each side of the calilper.  The idea is that this would prevent one front wheel from turning.  It is very difficult to push pull or load a vehicle with one wheel locked, especially if it is park close to another vehicle.  Years of loading wrecked vehicles has taught me this.  I know this would not prevent a creative thief from taking a vehicle but it would slow them down and possibly make them look for something easier.  Your buddies car for instsance.

What do you think?   Does someone have a better idea?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

rumrumm

Would some sort of hidden brake line lock be simpler and just as effective?
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

gt28a

Or...have the same type of pin/bolt but instead of through the rotor just push the brake pedal down and install the pin to keep it locked on.....maybe...perhaps... :lol:  or a removable pin that locks the 2 halves of the steering shaft together...when you remove the pin the steering wheel just spins around and doesnt turn the wheels.

gt28a

I know it sounds like a stupid idea...I was just getting my post count on the move :oops:

rumrumm

My only concern about the brake lock would be disabling the brake lights, but that could be overcome with a switch.
Lynn
'32 3W

WZ JUNK

I have thought about a couple of things that involved the brake system.  A line lock would work but cutting a brake line or disabling the electrical system would defeat the line lock.

I think, that in the situation I was close to,  the thieves merely took the car out of gear and rolled it into a box trailer.  I have tried to put myself in the position of a car thief and how I would go about stealing a car.  I would probably look for the easiest, and if something made it difficult, I would go on to another vehicle.

I am hoping I will have some response and discussion as this is something I intend to do and I want the best possible outcome.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Mikej

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Recent developments have made me think more about how to insure our specialty vehicles are not taken by thieves.  I have been thinking about an antitheft device for some time.  I thought I would put the idea out here and let you poke holes in my proposal before I make one.  

I intend to drill four holes 90 degrees apart in one of the front disc brake rotors with each hole located just between the inner fin.  A receiver hitch lock or a bolt with a nylock nut could be placed through two of these holes on each side of the calilper.  The idea is that this would prevent one front wheel from turning.  It is very difficult to push pull or load a vehicle with one wheel locked, especially if it is park close to another vehicle.  Years of loading wrecked vehicles has taught me this.  I know this would not prevent a creative thief from taking a vehicle but it would slow them down and possibly make them look for something easier.  Your buddies car for instsance.

What do you think?   Does someone have a better idea?

John

You would kill 2 birds with one stone. Security and vented rotors. I think a line lock might work and you could use it for burn outs.

UGLY OLDS

Good thinking John, but kinda "messy" ....  Do you really want to slide under the car every AM to remove a bolt from a rotor??  ( On my Olds you need to remove the wheel to SEE the rotor.... :shock:  )

What about this .....For those of us running GM (or aftermarket) steering columns, turn the wheels to full right or left lock before removing the key???   I doubt if car thieves going after street rods know the tow drivers "method" of straightening the wheels to roll the car out of a parking spot ...If a "determined" thief wants the car, they will arrive with a "Wheel-Lift" wrecker.... ( Think "Repo-Guys"..)   Hard to stop them....

It's just one more idea to "slow 'em down"......
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

I'd think about one of those mechanical diskbrake handbrake kits that attach to the driveshaft and then locate the pull-on handle in the locked trunk or in a pickup under the seat or inback of the seat.

Don't think most folks would think about a spare handbrake.

I know on all my rides when I park out of town somewhere I always disconnect the battery with a quick disconnect I have on them for casual security as well as other reasons.

So to me pulling a hidden hand brake lever and disconnecting a battery wouldn't be too much for me to do.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Good thinking John, but kinda "messy" ....  Do you really want to slide under the car every AM to remove a bolt from a rotor??  ( On my Olds you need to remove the wheel to SEE the rotor.... :shock:  )

What about this .....For those of us running GM (or aftermarket) steering columns, turn the wheels to full right or left lock before removing the key???   I doubt if car thieves going after street rods know the tow drivers "method" of straightening the wheels to roll the car out of a parking spot ...If a "determined" thief wants the car, they will arrive with a "Wheel-Lift" wrecker.... ( Think "Repo-Guys"..)   Hard to stop them....

It's just one more idea to "slow 'em down"......

The particular car, that I had knowledge of, was an open wheeled car.  In this situation I thought you could park the car with the front end towards a parking block between two other cars.  With one front wheel locked,  even a wheel lift wrecker would have trouble moving the car backwards.  This car was a open car, without a locking steering column.  It made it an easy target.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

UGLY OLDS

QuoteThe particular car, that I had knowledge of, was an open wheeled car.  In this situation I thought you could park the car with the front end towards a parking block between two other cars.  With one front wheel locked,  even a wheel lift wrecker would have trouble moving the car backwards.  This car was a open car, without a locking steering column.  It made it an easy target.

John
[/quote]

Oops ...... :oops:    My one track mind forgot about that .... :roll:    
What about one of those "U-Bolt" shaped motorcycle locks around the spindle arm/radius rod/pittman arm  ....  OR ....Through a wheel "opening" so the lock hit the caliper  :idea:  :?:  :?:

Just ramblin' here ....

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

there have been a huge rash of cars stolen.. while they were parked inside car trailers....

the trailers are usually on the road and crossing the border into mexico before they hit the hot sheet...

there are products like this..

http://www.trailercanelock.com/Trailer_Cane_Lock.html

these could also be used on cars... depending upon on clearance around the brake rotors or drums..

i have not had access to a lathe or mill in a while.. but for styled wheels.. i have always wanted to make custom shapes that stick through the wheel openings that have a rotating shaft to catch inside the wheel so the wheel can not turn a full turn without hitting the caliper..  careful design would produce them with a HDPE sleeve to prevent scratching the wheel..

another idea was to  have drilled rotors...
think of a slide bolt ... built into a tube with a C shape at the end.. to reach around the back of the rotor... the slide pin then goes through one of the drilled holes and a padlock keeps the pin engaged.

i have on some customers stick shift trucks.. put eye bolts through the floor board on both sides of the clutch pedal ... just above the pedal pad..  so when the driver gets out..  he sets the parking brake...  reaches in.   pushed the clutch pedal down with his hand and slips the long shackle padlock through the eye bolts locking the clutch pedal to the floor...

one could also create an actuator driven spring loaded drop down jack arm device..   so when you get out..   the actuator releases the spring tension and a steel arm swings down out of its box... to drag the ground..  i would install it so it would extend even farther if the car was moved forward...  sort of like when you break a front u joint and the drive shaft drops.. but this would actually be rigid...

perhaps somebody who makes shifter cables.. or clutch cables...  could device a secondary shifter cable...  that has enough movement..  but can lock the transmissions manual lever in park with an electric actuator pulling on a spring that pulls the cable .. so you don't just rip the manual lever off...

there are a bunch of different designs for trailer locks....

this company sells some for fifth wheel and pintle ring

http://www.truckinglocks.com/

this is a really neat design for ball hitches on trailers.. only 25 bucks..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200172024_200172024

the best idea....  to buy a LOJACK..  put in a hidden gel battery for it..

Ohio Blue Tip

I've been thinking about this issue after the car being stolen in Missouri.  I think LOJACK is the way to go, with a hidden battery for it.  The car can be stolen but recover is likely.  Don't know what the cost is but piece of mind would be worth a lot.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

rumrumm

I agree that LOJACK is probably the best defense against theft, but at almost $700.00, it is a bit pricey, although given the cost of our cars, it is money well spent. I am simply wondering about a cheaper alternative that can be installed. I thought I read once about a device you could install in the brake system that acted as a type of emergency brake--you step on your brake, activate the device, and all four wheels are locked. And I don't believe this was an electrical device--I thought it was mechanical--but given my memory I could be mistaken. Does anyone else remember this besides me?
Lynn
'32 3W

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.