new toy

Started by DRD57, May 15, 2010, 12:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

It's registered and insured per CA DMV's rules for special constructed vehicles. Everything works and we cleaned it up for a local show tomorrow.

After the show I get to take it all back apart for paint.

chimp koose

53stvblt

Sweet ride!  What color will you be painting it?
Bud

sirstude

SWEET !  

I just wish I could fit into one.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

57larry

like it a lot! tell us more about it

jaybee

Quote from: "53stvblt"Sweet ride!  What color will you be painting it?
Bud

As I understand it the amount of paint on Don's cars is inversely proportional to the amount of fun he's having with them.

This one looks like a lot of fun.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

GPster

It's been years ago so I can't remember the particulars. Seem like you had gotten a "Deuce" roadster and you didn't want to rush building it so you bought a fiberglass body to put on the frame so you'd have something to drive quick and then you could take your time building a car with the staal body. It would be awful hard to make fiberglass look like un-painted steel, is that you original body or have I got it all wrong. GPster

DRD57

Quote from: "GPster"It's been years ago so I can't remember the particulars. Seem like you had gotten a "Deuce" roadster and you didn't want to rush building it so you bought a fiberglass body to put on the frame so you'd have something to drive quick and then you could take your time building a car with the staal body. It would be awful hard to make fiberglass look like un-painted steel, is that you original body or have I got it all wrong. GPster

I think you got some details from someone else's story in there.

This is a completely new build that I started when I decided to open my shop. The plan was/is to keep one of these in the works at all times. Something to work on in between customer projects if I have down time.

Fortunately I haven't had much if any down time so, this build has taken almost two years to get to this point.

It has essentially the same chassis as my green roadster with a 350/350/8", Brookville body, Rootlieb hood, Vintique grille, vintage BLC headlights are the only "old" parts on the car. Limeworks column, drop, & wheel, suspension heated bucket seats, VDO gauges, Gennie shifter with a real grenade for a knob.

I'll tear it down for paint in a couple of weeks, really dark black paint. The only thing left to do before then is complete converting it from a rumble lid to a trunk lid.

When it's done, it'll be for sale. If it sells, great, I'll have a wad of cash in my pocket to start another one. If it doesn't sell right away, great, I'll have another cool roadster to drive. Win/win.

enjenjo

What are the rear tires? brand and size? They look good on there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

SWEET!!

black with that interior/wheel color will look good, but then you always had a good eye.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

slocrow

Quote from: "GPster"It's been years ago so I can't remember the particulars. Seem like you had gotten a "Deuce" roadster and you didn't want to rush building it so you bought a fiberglass body to put on the frame so you'd have something to drive quick and then you could take your time building a car with the staal body.
We're drinking the same cool-aid or suffering from the same Ohio disease Joe as I too would have sworn that scenario was part of a Don direction story stated by Don some time ago. Now you got me wondering about my own memory skills. I'm also thinking my own 32's rear is about 4" too narrow. Nice look Don....Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

DRD57

Quote from: "enjenjo"What are the rear tires? brand and size? They look good on there.

They're real Firestone Dirt Trackers, 14.0x31x15. I've had them for years but, this is the first time they've ever been on a car.  I didn't know what I was going to do with them when I bought them at the Pomona swap meet but, at $100 for new tires, I couldn't pass them up.

The dirt trackers have a polarizing effect on people. They either love them or hate them. Sitting still, I think they look a little corny. When the car is rolling down the road it looks badass with the radical difference between the dirt trackers and the 145's on the front.  

It's kind of a 70's traditional look, which I like.

Mac

mmmm... Brookville;  Tasty
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

Quote from: "DRD57"
Quote from: "enjenjo"What are the rear tires? brand and size? They look good on there.

They're real Firestone Dirt Trackers, 14.0x31x15. I've had them for years but, this is the first time they've ever been on a car.  I didn't know what I was going to do with them when I bought them at the Pomona swap meet but, at $100 for new tires, I couldn't pass them up.

The dirt trackers have a polarizing effect on people. They either love them or hate them. Sitting still, I think they look a little corny. When the car is rolling down the road it looks badass with the radical difference between the dirt trackers and the 145's on the front.  

It's kind of a 70's traditional look, which I like.

I thought they might be racing tires, look a little square on the shoulders for street tires. They do look good on there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.