Best / slimmest electric fan for 40 Ford

Started by Topsterguy, May 05, 2010, 08:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hey folks!  I was going to use a 16" Spal, 2300 cfm electric fan in my 40 pickup, but it looks like it'll be too tight with the water pump pulley. The overall thickness of the fan is 3.47" and I got ot because of the flow rate.  Anyone use or know of a good, high rate fan that's slimmer that'll cool a 40 with a SBC ( they're inherant hard to cool I've heard!)  Thanks!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

wayne petty

again... time for another wayne idea...

anybody ever seen the front wheel drive 3.1 V6..  with the offset water pump mounted out in front of the left cylinder head..   on the timing cover..

one of those could be fabbed for a small block and cure all kinds of lack of water pump area problems..

in fact.. one could cast them up for not just a SBC... but a SBF and a SBD..

again... just an idea.....

Learpilot

I had the same problem with on a little over 3 inches between the water pump and the radiator. I used the Cooling Components fan and shroud.
They list for a 40 Ford to use CCI-1740 fan and shroud with a Walker Radiator. It is 17" and pulls 2500 CFM. It is only 2 5/8" thick. It is also a two speed fan.
I also got the Dakota digital PAC-2700 Electric Fan Controller.
This combination works GREAT !!!. We have already had over 90 degrees with high humidity and in traffic the temp stayed at 180 with A/C on.
www.walkerradiatorworks.com
www.coolingcomponentsinc.us.com
www.dakotadigital.com

Rick

kb426

I bought Cooling Components for my 32 and I'm pretty happy. I ran around Pueblo last summer when it was 99 degrees at 4700' elevation and had no problems. The new slimline unit might be the one for you.
TEAM SMART

Topsterguy

Thanks guys!  As always, I knew something would come up here! :D  :D   I guess I could go with a pusher on the front too, but I don't think they're as effective.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

crdnblu

Additionally, to combat overheating, you might want to consider the louvered inner fender panels from this company:  

http://www.mr40s.com/  

Several local 40's in my city have these installed, giving great results.

enjenjo

make sure you run a cover over the grille to rad area. It makes a big difference in cooling.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

Running CCI shrouded electrics on two vehicles now and have one on my 40 [just not running YET]. I love em. My experience with electric fan pushing was not good. Used one on my 40 tudor years ago with a mechanical fan pulling. The electric on the front of radiator just blocked more flow. Took it off and used a shroud on mechanical fan. Still nowhere as good as a CCI.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Okiedokie"Running CCI shrouded electrics on two vehicles now and have one on my 40 [just not running YET]. I love em. My experience with electric fan pushing was not good. Used one on my 40 tudor years ago with a mechanical fan pulling. The electric on the front of radiator just blocked more flow. Took it off and used a shroud on mechanical fan. Still nowhere as good as a CCI.

Interesting, okiedokie, cuz I was looking at it thinking "there's LOTS of room out front, what about a pusher?"...but I've heard they're not as effective as a puller.  I've ordered the CC1-1740 fan/ shroud from CCI.

Old Blue

Anyone ever look at the electric fan assembly off of a Ford Taurus ? A seriously good looking fan, a good size and a nice slim shroud that is part of it too.

Looks like the perfect size for an early car.

Larry

kb426

The Taurus fan is a pretty common conversion. Seems like it takes a 70 amp relay????
TEAM SMART

Okiedokie

So does the CCI. Any pictures of the Taurus?

40cpe

I had the same space problem with a Ford engine. I was able to off-set the fan from center just enough to miss the water pump pulley.

On cooling the SBC, I understand that using manifold vacuum to the distributor helps the cooling greatly at low engine rpm.

1800guy

All things being equal, a puller fan may be more efficient than a pusher, but in my case at least, I could fit in a much stronger pusher fan.  Being on a very tight budget, I turned to the local pik-a-part and found a fan from a Mercedes deisel sedan.  Stripped of the non-essential MB parts it is just under 12" diameter and 3.5" thick.  It really moves air, drawing 12 amps.  As noted above, use good shrouding to make sure that all air coming in through the grill goes to the radiator - avoiding areas of both turbulent or dead air.  Also, my understanding is that when using a pusher and a puller fan they should be staggered to avoid adding turbulence or piling of the air.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

papastoyss

Quote from: "Okiedokie"So does the CCI. Any pictures of the Taurus?
Their rep told me if you hook the motor up as a 2 speed instead of tying both + wires together you can use a 4o amp relay on each circuit, as in 1 speed for engine temp & another for A/C kick in.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!