If it sound too good to be true,....

Started by Beck, April 26, 2010, 10:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I've had the bug for a new project for a few months now, so I have been looking what is out there. I'm not sure what I want to play with. As I posted before I've been thinking about a rat style truck. I have also been thinking about doing a little racing.
A local ad states, "$30,000 race engine, quit racing, first $2500 takes it." I had to find out a little more so I bit and called. It is a .100 over 454 with dart heads, toilet bowl alcohol injection, went 8.2 in a dragster in the 1/4. I didn't get much more than that. When I was calling I was thinking I wanted more of a street/strip setup. BUT this has me thinking. I don't know how many passes it has or how long it has been since run or freshened. Does this sound too good to be true? I'm not a racer yet so I don't know the right questions to ask.
Anyone ever tried a Ron's toilet alky setup on the street. I hear some guys start and idle on 93 octane gas with this setup. Then before the run they switch to the alcohol. This seems to be the best way to build motor heat before the run and is the most cost effective on fuel.

GPster

Just fill in the blanks and maybe you'll get a story. I can't seem to remember ALL of everything. A fellow RRTer died recently and he among other things was an author. His book was about growing up in California and all his cars and car buddies. Near the end of his book he is talking about his brother that is drag racing a Henry J with a 502 in it running on alcohol and he is going through the proceedure you describe. The rest of the book is good reading and if Illinois does like Ohio you may be able to find the book (but you'll probably need the title or authors name) on inter-library loan. GPster

phat rat

C-9 was the guy. Real name Jay Carnine
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Danimal

Fill in the blanks? Like this?

"$30,000 race engine, quit racing" ...in 1989 and car has sat outside with hood off in all weather since. Motor is probably junk but could be used with a piece of glass to make a beautiful coffee table... "first $2500 takes it."

:P

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com