What I did today

Started by enjenjo, February 13, 2010, 08:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

The owner of the 58 Apache I just finished came to pick it up today. So after a bit of cleanup, I started on a 9" I am building for a 67 Camaro. First thing, he wants to run the stock Chevy brakes. So I am modifing the backing plates to fit on the Ford housing ends.  Basically it's just opening the hole in the center up enough to fit over the Ford wheel bearing. Then the housing end has to be cut down to fit inside the recess on the GM backing plate, holes welded up, and new ones drilled to the GM pattern. I have to make new axle retainers that have the GM pattern too. Not a big deal but a bit time consuming.

Moser sells the housing ends and retainers to do this, but I decided to do this one myself.

When I have the axles made, they will have the GM lug pattern, and hub pilot, and the correct spacing for Chevy brakes. The cost is the same as for the standard Ford setup.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

butch27

Frank: Sounds like something a lot of people may be interested in.

phat46

Frank, why does he want the Chevy brakes?

unklian

Quote from: "phat46"Frank, why does he want the Chevy brakes?

Match the front ?

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat46"Frank, why does he want the Chevy brakes?

Well, first off he is running Chevy wheels. Also the 9" I am building him came with no brakes. And third, he has new brakes off the old 10 bolt he took out.

phat rat

With the cost of your labor wouldn't that be a wash? I would think the 9in  parts were available at a decent price.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"With the cost of your labor wouldn't that be a wash? I would think the 9in  parts were available at a decent price.

Yup, pretty much a wash. I just do what I am asked.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"

Yup, pretty much a wash. I just do what I am asked.

um , kool

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Danimal

If it were to cost the same, I'd rather give my money to Frank than some shop!

OldSub

Quote from: "Danimal"If it were to cost the same, I'd rather give my money to Frank than some shop!
I agree with the sentiment, but if the difference were getting disk brakes versus keeping old drum brakes I'd have chosen the disk conversion.

The decisions other people make often don't make sense to me.  And it seems to be true the other way around much of the time too.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

phat rat

Don't get me wrong I'm all for Frank having the work.  If the guy was getting better brakes it would make sense but he's not. I think it being penny wise and pound foolish. Another way of putting it. He's spending dimes/dollars to save a penny. He could have bought bigger brakes for the 9in
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

river1

Quote from: "OldSub"The decisions other people make often don't make sense to me.  And it seems to be true the other way around much of the time too.

yup me too!!!

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"Don't get me wrong I'm all for Frank having the work.  If the guy was getting better brakes it would make sense but he's not. I think it being penny wise and pound foolish. Another way of putting it. He's spending dimes/dollars to save a penny. He could have bought bigger brakes for the 9in

I agree 100 percent, and pointed that out to him. By the way, this is not the first one I have done this way. One was on an S10, the other was on a small car with a big engine.

Danimal

I assumed drum to drum Ford to Chevy so I was looking at off the shelf vs. Frank. I'll take Frank's work on that one.

It doesn't make sense not to upgrade, though!

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"I agree 100 percent, and pointed that out to him.
The customer is always right even when they are wrong.

The fact they can always tell when I think they are nuts is why I've mostly worked behind the scenes instead of with the customer...

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com