8.8 inch ford axles

Started by EMSjunkie, July 11, 2004, 12:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

42AeroSedan

What about a rearend from a Thunderbird??

Does this same info apply??  Or are you able to get 5-lug axles to fit??

enjenjo

Depends on the year, a lot of the Tbirds had IRS, and most of the rest had 7.5 rears. The 8.8 rears were wider than the Mustang rears by about 4"
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

The thunderbird from 89 up is the independent rear. It has an 8.8 center section. The 83 to 88 all has the 7.5 which alot of the rangers and non v8 mustangs have.
TEAM SMART

42AeroSedan

Don't know the year, supposed to be out of a Turbo Coupe.  The overall width is 59" and had rear disc brakes and the axles each measure 30 1/4".

The axles are 28 spline 4 lug that I need to replace unless there is enough flat area that these could be re-drilled??

What about the V-8 T-Birds, what would they have had ??

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"I know this has been beat into the ground, but I have misplaced the info on what year ford ranger rear axles to use to change from 4-lug 28 spline to 5-lug 28 spline. I know they have to be drivers side, but I am not sure of the years that will interchange. new to your forum, but I really like what I've seen so far.
Thanks in advance for your help

"when red lights and siren aren't enough, PUNCH IT!!

Ive seen some really good looking street beast cars. Im not a fan of em cause the bodys arent scaled right . Did you ever think of just going with a 9 inch? I really dont like the way the 8.8 rear is put together. They went cheap when they went to the 8.8 the nine or even a 8" is a better rear in my eyes.
Work on the grille area of your street beast body and if you do it right at first glance no one will ever know what body it is. I usually can spot em a mile away unless they have re done the grille.. The end result is if your happy with it who cares about anyone else . Hummm ex sprint car driver. I used to wrench a pavement sprinter and I did drive late model for 1 year. I wanted to get back into roundy round but the wife suggested  another hot rod so here i am :D
Dave :lol:

enjenjo

The Turbo coupe rear is an 8.8, and about 4 inches wised than a Mustang. If you get the Ranger axles, Moser will cut the housing for about $50

EMSjunkie

Ive seen some really good looking street beast cars. Im not a fan of em cause the bodys arent scaled right . Did you ever think of just going with a 9 inch? I really dont like the way the 8.8 rear is put together. They went cheap when they went to the 8.8 the nine or even a 8" is a better rear in my eyes.
Work on the grille area of your street beast body and if you do it right at first glance no one will ever know what body it is. I usually can spot em a mile away unless they have re done the grille.. The end result is if your happy with it who cares about anyone else . Hummm ex sprint car driver. I used to wrench a pavement sprinter and I did drive late model for 1 year. I wanted to get back into roundy round but the wife suggested  another hot rod so here i am :D
Dave :lol:[/quote]

I agree with you about the grill, its a dead give-away. would love to have a Dan Fink or other grill, but kinda out of my price range. just want to get this one done so I can drive it. I also agree with you about everyone elses opinion. I want a rod I can drive, not just to look at. its gonna get rock chips and bird poop on it, but do want to pay attention to some of the details. sound like our wives may be related :shock:  mine is a keeper. been with her for over 20 years now, besides, I too darned old to try to train another one :lol:

Vance

if time is a waste of life, and life is a waste of time, lets all get wasted and have the time of our life
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Ive seen some really good looking street beast cars. Im not a fan of em cause the bodys arent scaled right . Did you ever think of just going with a 9 inch? I really dont like the way the 8.8 rear is put together. They went cheap when they went to the 8.8 the nine or even a 8" is a better rear in my eyes.
Dave :lol:

I agree with you about the grill, its a dead give-away. would love to have a Dan Fink or other grill, but kinda out of my price range. just want to get this one done so I can drive it. I also agree with you about everyone elses opinion. I want a rod I can drive, not just to look at. its gonna get rock chips and bird ##### on it, but do want to pay attention to some of the details. sound like our wives may be related :shock:  mine is a keeper. been with her for over 20 years now, besides, I too darned old to try to train another one :lol:

Vance

Look at the downs shell and grillle 450 i think. I used the 33 on mine
Dave

if time is a waste of life, and life is a waste of time, lets all get wasted and have the time of our life[/quote]

42AeroSedan

Quote from: "enjenjo"The Turbo coupe rear is an 8.8, and about 4 inches wised than a Mustang. If you get the Ranger axles, Moser will cut the housing for about $50

The width is fine at 59" (actually I am supposed to use a 60") so I would not need it cut down just need different lug pattern and/or axles to get to a 5-lug (either 4.75" or 5.00").

Larry

42AeroSedan

Did you ever think of just going with a 9 inch? I really dont like the way the 8.8 rear is put together. They went cheap when they went to the 8.8 the nine or even a 8" is a better rear in my eyes.
[/quote]

Yes, that was my first choice, but I have stumbled across this 8.8 unit that is basically a configuration I can use if I could get the axle situation straighten out.

By cheap do you mean junk??

Larry

timkins

I do not know if this will help or not but try this site;

http://www.quickperformance.com/ninecase.htm

A lot of good info her. I found out the 9" in my car is really an 8".

Dave

Quote from: "42AeroSedan"Did you ever think of just going with a 9 inch? I really dont like the way the 8.8 rear is put together. They went cheap when they went to the 8.8 the nine or even a 8" is a better rear in my eyes.

Yes, that was my first choice, but I have stumbled across this 8.8 unit that is basically a configuration I can use if I could get the axle situation straighten out.

By cheap do you mean junk??

Larry[/quote]

Dont qoute me on this but if i remember right they went to cheaper bearings and a c clip arangement like the chevys.. Frank sr can tell you more im sure he knows better than me. I was also thinking they went to a bearing like the chevys that used the axle as the bearing inner race. The chevys are like that so when the bearing goes if not caught quick enuff then you need an axle too.  Like I said I could be wrong and it wouldnt be the first time
Dave

enjenjo

QuoteDont qoute me on this but if i remember right they went to cheaper bearings and a c clip arangement like the chevys.. Frank sr can tell you more im sure he knows better than me. I was also thinking they went to a bearing like the chevys that used the axle as the bearing inner race. The chevys are like that so when the bearing goes if not caught quick enuff then you need an axle too. Like I said I could be wrong and it wouldnt be the first time
Dave

You're right. And both were based on a Dana design. Actually from what I can find, they are pretty rugged, even the 28 spline version

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteDont qoute me on this but if i remember right they went to cheaper bearings and a c clip arangement like the chevys.. Frank sr can tell you more im sure he knows better than me. I was also thinking they went to a bearing like the chevys that used the axle as the bearing inner race. The chevys are like that so when the bearing goes if not caught quick enuff then you need an axle too. Like I said I could be wrong and it wouldnt be the first time
Dave

You're right. And both were based on a Dana design. Actually from what I can find, they are pretty rugged, even the 28 spline version

Im sorry sir but are you typing to me ?
I cant be right ive never been right in my entire life and im also not very smart.
I just dont like the idea of using the axle as the inner race of a bearing like the chevys. Dont cost that much more to do it right.

Dave

enjenjo

even if it's a nickle more, on a million cars. thats a bunch of nickles.

What the car companies have been ding the last 20 years is taking the cushion out. Back in the 60's, most Fords came with a 9" rear, when most of them didn't need it. Same with GM, even a 4 cylinder Nova had a 10 bolt rear.

Now days they put in just enough strength to make it with no cushion. Saves weight first off, and saves money. After all, all they have to do is get through the warrantee period. Anything beyond that is costing them.