The high cost of parts forces me to make my own

Started by junkyardjeff, January 13, 2010, 10:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I have been trying to get my 65 custom 500 to run a little better in cold weather so I ditched the open air cleaner and put on a 85 mustang GT dual snorkel,I want to hook up the heat tubes to the manifolds but since I have headers I found that there are parts available but the cost is rediculous.  Edelbrock makes them but at 60 dollars each (I need two) and Hedman has some that are a little better at 37 each so I decided to make my own,I found a couple exhaust pipe adapters that the flexable hoses fit and cut them out to slip over the header and will clamp them on with radiator hose clamps.  Total cost was a little over 18 dollars for two hoses and two adapters and a half hour to cut the pieces of pipe which is alot better then 120 and 75,now I have to figure out how to get two hoses hooked to the core support area so I can get fresh cool air to the motor.

jaybee

$120?  Ho.  Lee.  Cow.  Nice work, and you get to say you did it yourself...which you just did.  Way to go.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

junkyardjeff

A flexible hose and a part that attached to the header and a couple clamps for 60 and 37 dollars I dont think so,it was 5 something for the hose and 3 dollars for the pipe adapter and I have plenty of hose clamps and since its a daily driver I dont care if it looks professional it just has to work.

wayne petty

i have made those my self...   on one isuzu pickup that would not pass smog do to it the duct adaptor over the exhaust was missing and NLA from I..

i made one out of a sheet metal roof flashing where you stick the plumbing vents through the roof...   the smog guy loved it...

i have also taken several lengths of 1/4" brake line.. carefully wound one around one of the header tubes...    bent the ends to connect to the other sections... so i could disconnect it..  covered it with just the stainless steel clamp from a No-hub coupling from the sewer fittings section...
this is what i supplied several cars with headers and one without with hot air for the choke thermostat...

Okiedokie

Any pics? I have considered this for my F100. I still have the dual snorkel air cleaner from my 302. Are you just leaving the heat tubes open? No control? I would like to see what you did. Joe

junkyardjeff

I will take some pics when I am done and I hope to hook up the tubes to the core support so I can get ram air.

junkyardjeff

The parts I made worked and the heat tubes are on and hooked up but I think I am going to have a hard time finding those temp sensors in the aircleaner that control the flaps,I have a autozone catalog and took some numbers with me and they are not available so I might have to go with a ported vacumn on the thermostat housing or intake.

junkyardjeff

I got a ported vacumn switch to operate the flaps and will get it working tomorrow.

Okiedokie

I await your success story and pictures. Joe

junkyardjeff

Got the ported vacumn switch on and it works so now I need to hook up the fresh air hoses to the core support for the ram air effect but I need to make a trip to the junkyard to get some more parts,I now want to get late model valve covers so I can hook up the crankcase ventlation and PCV systems like on the mustang.

junkyardjeff

I got some pics but everytime I try to post on here is it says the pics are too big and I have no clue on how to resize them so PM me your email address if you want to see them.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I took it for a little trip today and even though its about 20 degrees warmer then when I last driven it I think there is a improvement,I still might have to jet the carb a little richer but when I pull the head to have a valve guide replaced I am thinking about putting the 2 bbl back on.  It never used any oil before I installed the 4 bbl and it ran great with the holley 500 2 bbl and the gas mileage was the same between the two carbs,the 4 bbl I have on it I never liked it since it has a fixed float level and I have to take the fuel bowls off the replace the needle valve if the need would arrive.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.