My Big Weekend

Started by bucketmouth, January 11, 2010, 05:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucketmouth

Well I finally did it, I painted the roadster. I bought the car for my young bloke awhile back and the graphics have finally peed me off they had to go. The car was built in the 80s so it was due for a tidy up. The car has been super reliable over the 5 or 6 years that I have owned it and I guess that comes with a lot of driving and sorting out over the 20 years it has been on the road.

Here's what it's looked like before we started.

So with some help we made a start on it.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

bucketmouth

Quote from: bucketmouthWell I finally did it, I painted the roadster. I bought the car for my young bloke awhile back and the graphics have finally peed me off they had to go. The car was built in the 80s so it was due for a tidy up. The car has been super reliable over the 5 or 6 years that I have owned it and I guess that comes with a lot of driving and sorting out over the 20 years it has been on the road.

Here's what it's looked like before we started.

Before we started I removed the motor and front end for a new coat of paint as well. It only took me a day and a bit to do.
The rusty wire wheels were sent to the chromers for stripping and then onto the powder coaters for some gloss black.
The ceramic coated side pipes were painted with black heat proof paint.

So with some help we made a start on it.[/quote

Here's Jeff rubbing them graphics off, I think that was the highlight of my weekend seeing the end of them.

Even got my kids to pitch in, might have been cheap labour but somehow I know its gonna cost me.

Jeff laying on the first coat of satin black

I was gonna get some one to do some scallops and then I thought why not put a single stripe on it ourselves saving time and money.

Here's the finished product

It took me longer than expected to reassemble the car but I'm extremely happy with the outcome. It is a completely different looking car now.
Over the next few weeks I'll get some sort of pin striping put on it.
I also have a cut down banjo steering wheel to go on and the Caddy air cleaner needs a bit of work to fit.
All in all it took me about 8 or 9 days and less than $500 for a cheap make over. :D

kb426

TEAM SMART

Harry

Nice little car, but there is something different about the whole back end. Not sure of what it is, but it looks strange. Part '31?

Charlie Chops 1940

Looks as if the rear panel below the trunk and the corners have been extended downward 2-4 inches.

Looks good to me, and the new livery too.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Nice job. I think I get my masking paper the same place you do. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"Nice job. I think I get my masking paper the same place you do. :roll:

All the way from Jim in Az  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?

Roadster looks great.. :D  

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

bucketmouth

The rear originally had a longer roll pan but I had it shortened and the swage lines were made longer.

That's wishful thinking about Bonneville but that is a street sign in my neighborhood. I can still say my car has been there can't I?

Thanks for the comments.

chimp koose

looks great, and I love the painted wire wheels.

39deluxe

Looks really nice.  I hope your are enjoying your roadster weather.

Tom

rumrumm

Cool!! A true hot rod. Nice work, mate!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

bucketmouth

Quote from: "39deluxe"Looks really nice.  I hope your are enjoying your roadster weather.

Tom

Well Tom it has been good cruisin weather down here but to tell the truth I think we are all over it. With summer now officially over it was the hottest summer on record and we would all like just a little rain to cool the place down. Some rain for the gardens and some water for the dams just to break the drought and relax the water restrictions would be a welcome relief.Even some of that white fluffy stuff some of you get over there would be nice. The forecast for the next 5 days is still 90 deg days.
When I start thinking about the heat I just take a look in the garage to remind me why I don't have heating and air con. Yep the 34 coupe I bought while visiting the US a couple of years back took all that money :D
Oh well tomorrow I'm taking the roadster to show it to the radiator guy to show him what I want done before I remove it for repairs.
After that I'm taking the bucket to the chrome platers to see what he can do with the side pipes, gee I'm glad it won't be raining then :wink:
Thanks for the comments about the car to.

mcdonald

What about the guards :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Lindsay

bucketmouth

I took the photo's before I put the guards  back on :wink:

cr55

Well Tom it has been good cruisin weather down here but to tell the truth I think we are all over it. With summer now officially over it was the hottest summer on record and we would all like just a little rain to cool the place down. Some rain for the gardens and some water for the dams just to break the drought and relax the water restrictions would be a welcome relief.Even some of that white fluffy stuff some of you get over there would be nice. The forecast for the next 5 days is still 90 deg days.

I have plenty of the "white fluffy stuff"..I'll start shipping it over! :D ..Nice job on the car,I like the paint, came out great!....CR