steering box

Started by phat rat, January 10, 2010, 09:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

I don't understand their claim about rack and pinion internal components, especially when they say it's a recirculating ball box, unless I missed something between the lines.

Looks to me like it's a new GM style steering box, a box that probably has a market...without smoke and mirrors. I'll be interested in hearing too.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

technically speaking, all GM power steering boxes have been rack and pinion since 63 or so. Except you drive the piniion with the rack, rather than the rack being driven from the pinion. The rack is on the power assist piston, that is moved by the recirculaing screw connected to the steering wheel. this drives a pinion sector attached to the pitman arm to steer the wheels.

Basically what that box in the auction is, an improved version of the GM 605 box. Somewhat smaller than an 805.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

CPP boxes are all the rage right now in tri5 circles these days.   The biggest issue with the 605 conversion is that the boxes are over assisted, especially for earlier cars that were built more with manual steering in mind.

Making a 605 work right seems to involve a bunch of caster, wide tires on the front, a smaller steering wheel helps...in short anything that increases steering effort.  The CPP boxes are made with the higher effort that people prefer these days.

And they aren't already worn out.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat rat

This would be a replacement for the stock box, getting worn out, on the  74 Nova sub in my cpe

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"This would be a replacement for the stock box, getting worn out, on the  74 Nova sub in my cpe

It should work fine, and give you a little more room to boot.

sirstude

I would guess that it would work in my Impala also, correct?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Quote from: "sirstude"I would guess that it would work in my Impala also, correct?

Doug

yes.

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank, never thought of the rack the way you 'splained it. Makes perfect sense though.

CCP oughta sell a boat load of them as good ones drying up. Considering that Jack and I put an early 70's back steer sub in his car, and that he has rebuilt the box once or twice, it sounds like the perfect product.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

Quote from: "sirstude"I would guess that it would work in my Impala also, correct?

Doug

Doug, check this link.  

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/183588/

Yea Charlie I think it's time to go with a new box. The old one has been redone twice. IaAlso got a Dakota Digital cruise to put in it. Took the motor to Tim last Wed. but haven't heard anything yet. Decided against going with the aluminun 502 heads plus cam. I figured it has enough power and the money was better spent on things like the steering and cruise.