Small Engine - Snow blower problem

Started by 58 Yeoman, January 09, 2010, 05:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I was using the small snow blower Thursday afternoon, when it just quit.  After a bit, I got it restarted, but it only ran a short time.  I put in a new plug today and made sure it had gas.  It started and ran for a few minutes, but didn't have any power.  Then it died again and won't start.  It sometimes pops back through the card when I'm trying to start it.

It's an MTD with a Tecumseh engine.  Has run great til now.  Any ideas?  It's about 15 years old but still in great shape.

TIA.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

I don't know; know nothing about how small engines work.  Would I pull off the flywheel cover to find out?  It's a 2 stroke.

Phil

kb426

Check the adjustable jet on the carb if it has one. The vibration from running will cause them to change the setting.
TEAM SMART

Harry

Dirty air cleaner?
Gas line filter?
Are you using ethanol in the gas? That will screw up your rubber gas line and plug filters.

kb426

Ah, a 2 stroke. Clean the exhaust port, screen and muffler. Then check the air filter. If it's run very much, the exhaust will be the problem.
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Okay, the air cleaner may be just a screen, I'll check it tomorrow.  There isn't any adjustment on the carb.  I'll check the exhaust port and muffler tomorrow.  It doesn't have a fuel filter, and I've used ethanol in it since I bought it in '95.  I removed the bowl and checked the openings in the bottom bolt...they are open.

Thanks for the ideas so far guys.  I had called the local Arctic Cat dealer 1/2 mile up the road, and asked if he worked on snowblowers.  His reply was that he doesn't work on 2 cycle engines. ??  I then called the only other place in town, a Snapper dealer, and he told me the same thing.  Geez.

Anyway, tomorrow's another day.

Thanks again for the tips.

Phil

wayne petty

MTD/Yard Machines Snow Thrower - 31AS250-700 (09/2004)
769-01417

MTD/Yard-Man Snow Thrower - 31AS2B5 (09/2004)
769-01416

MTD/Yard Machines Model 380 Two-Stage Snow Thrower (09/2004)
769-01419

MTD/Troy-Bilt Model Two-Stage Snow Thrower 31AS6BN2711 (09/2004)
769-01420

MTD/Yard Machines Two-Stage Snow Thrower 31AE5MLG729 (09/2004)
769-01418

here are the list of MTD snow blowers      the 769-XXXX numbers are the service manual for that machine..

how about a model number off of it.. or a model number off the motor...

i was not aware that they built snow blowers in two stroke... but then it has not snowed here in over 50 years...

57larry

river1

my guesses

bad/old gas?
rats nest in exhaust?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Digger

Hey Phil;
If you have any of last years gas in it, get rid of it! My 2 stroke weed trimmer will not run on year old gas. Even the stuff in the can goes bad, this newer gas is garbage.
Good Luck!

p.s. You've seen the place and I know what you are thinking but I really do use the trimmer once in a while........Honest!
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

wayne petty

for 2 stroke motor mechanics... think chain saw shops...

snip:    Aggie is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his back yard. He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws. The dealer tells him, "Look, I have a lot of models, but why don't you save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and get the top-of-the-line model. This chainsaw will cut a hundred cords of wood for you in one day."
So the Aggie takes the chainsaw home and begins working on the trees. After cutting for several hours and only cutting two cords, he decides to quit. He thinks there is something wrong with the chainsaw. "How can I cut for hours and only cut two cords?", the Aggie asks himself. "I will begin first thing in the morning and cut all day", the Aggie tells himself.
So, the next morning the Aggie gets up at 4 in the morning and cuts, and cuts, and cuts till nightfall, and he only manages to cut five cords. The Aggie is convinced this is a bad saw. "The dealer told me it would cut one hundred cords of wood in a day, no problem. I will take this saw back to the dealer", the Aggie says to himself.
The very next day the Aggie brings the saw back to the dealer and explains the problem. The dealer, baffled by the Aggie 's claim, removes the chainsaw from the case. The dealer says, "Huh, it looks fine." Then the dealer starts the chainsaw, to which the Aggie responds, "What's that noise?"

are snow mobiles 2 stroke still?? maybe a slightly different shop...  or a lawn boy dealer.... they used to sell a really great 2 stroke lawn mower...

come to think of it... it needed a bunch of stuff... like a new condenser

does the motor look anything like this????

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=LH195SP-67517

one last thing... are you sure it is a two stroke...   not a two stage snow blower????

but wait...

this is the motor manual for a 2 stroke MTD motor like you have =described...

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/images/manuals/HM80-110.pdf

here is the page i found it on...

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=HSK840-8218&desc=Tecumseh%20Engine%20%204hp%20Stepped%20Shaft,%201%22%20stepped%20down%20to%207/8%22,%20Two%20Cycle,%20Recoil%20Start,%20ES%20Provisions,%20Takeoff

58 Yeoman

Model number of the engine is HSK600 16027T.  When I google it, it comes up with replacement carbs and kits.  The engine has plenty of spark, and I changed the gas.  The exhaust port and muffler are clear.  The parts picture shows points and condenser for the spark, but like I said, there is plenty of that.

Too cold to mess with it anymore.  Thanks for all the replies.

Phil

wayne petty

ahh!!!   thank you for the model number...

here is exactly what you need...

the technicians handbook that covers that engine model..

http://www.cpdonline.com/692508.pdf

it really does look like one of the 4 stoke motors can be installed on the 2 stroke snow blower... if all else goes bad....

once more question...  have you ever tried spraying PAM cooking non stick spray on the various parts before taking it out into the snow???  

i have several friends who did that to their trucks before they took them MUD bogging... the mud washed right off without the normal trouble..

a friend in washington state sprayed it on parts of his boat to stop some of the ice buildup... the ice could not get a hard hold and would come off easy.. but some got on the decks... made it slippery... really slippery.. also left a tiny sheen on the water... he was afraid of getting a huge ticket.. so that ended the trial..

i hope you can get it going and blowing... before the ice age hits again.. hard....

58 Yeoman

Wayne, thanks for the url for the manual.  I'll print it out for future reference.  Hopefully, it'll get warmer this week.  I've got the propane furnace working in the shop, but it's on the ceiling, and one third of the ceiling isn't insulated yet, so it doesn't do much to help heat the shop.

Phil