getting spam from this site!!!from a member named sourcetug

Started by brucer, January 03, 2010, 07:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucer

is this forum allowing a member by the name of sourcetug to spam private messages?

hes pushing some itunes crap or something..

if this is being allowed remove my name from the members list

chopshopcustoms

Quote from: "brucer"is this forum allowing a member by the name of sourcetug to spam private messages?

i got one too
Lenny Schaeffer
Chop-Shop Customs
Woburn MA
www.chop-shopcustoms.com

ragtag

Quote from: "chopshopcustoms"
Quote from: "brucer"is this forum allowing a member by the name of sourcetug to spam private messages?

i got one too

me too

Fat Cat

No we do not allow this. It has been handled as best I can. He signed up for the forum in the last 10 hours which was the last time I deleted all the newly created spam accounts. I am doing my best people. I can only keep them out one of 2 ways. I can set things to disallow people to sign up to post on the forum. Or I can shut the forum down. Both of which seem counter productive. I deleted the account and all his pm spam. But that will not keep them from trying it again. They had posted that from 3 separate IP addresses and used a 4th to sign up with. So it is a botnet.

GPster

Quote from: "Fat Cat"No we do not allow this. It has been handled as best I can. He signed up for the forum in the last 10 hours which was the last time I deleted all the newly created spam accounts. I am doing my best people. I can only keep them out one of 2 ways. I can set things to disallow people to sign up to post on the forum. Or I can shut the forum down. Both of which seem counter productive. I deleted the account and all his pm spam. But that will not keep them from trying it again. They had posted that from 3 separate IP addresses and used a 4th to sign up with. So it is a botnet.
T                                                              Thank you for your efforts.  GPster

jaybee

Thanks Frank.  Battling spammers is a never ending job for message board operators.  The amount of spam I've received after years on this site is minimal at worst, I have complete confidence that will continue.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

brucer

i'm not griping or anything just i have been a member here for a long time, just the first time i got any spam.

how bout a capcha system? or when you register make it where you have to maunually add yesterdays date.. it stops bots

Crosley.In.AZ

If you receive the spam  stuff , report it to enjenjo  or fat cat quickly.

the other mods on the forums attempt to remove the spambot posts when we see them
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

OldSub

Quote from: "Fat Cat"I deleted the account and all his pm spam.
And I assume that is why I didn't see the SPAM message.

Thanks for all your hard work Frank, I appreciate this forum and know that it doesn't just leap out of cyberspace without someone like you making it happen.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

purplepickup

Quote from: "OldSub"Thanks for all your hard work Frank, I appreciate this forum and know that it doesn't just leap out of cyberspace without someone like you making it happen.
I second that!

I don't know how many new members and spammers sign up every day because Fat Cat is constantly deleting many of them.  I just checked the memberlist and the ones that are still on it are in the pic below.  Sometimes its hard to tell if they are real or not...and some are pretty obvious.
George

river1

good job on the quick work frank!!

some will always get thru because no one can be on here 100% of the time.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Carnut

Well gee, on my Goldmonkey.org forum I used to require admin approval before a registration could be used.

Even with that my forum got hacked from a bug in the registration routine, so I then just turned off registration completely and just rely on email and member recommendations for new member requests and manually register them myself.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "57larry"got it too WTF ?

Instead of cussing on my board about something that has already been explained. You might try reading the 4th post from the top of this thread. Just to make it easy on you here is a link http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=100692#100692

Fat Cat

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "OldSub"Thanks for all your hard work Frank, I appreciate this forum and know that it doesn't just leap out of cyberspace without someone like you making it happen.
I second that!

I don't know how many new members and spammers sign up every day because Fat Cat is constantly deleting many of them.  I just checked the memberlist and the ones that are still on it are in the pic below.  Sometimes its hard to tell if they are real or not...and some are pretty obvious.

I went in deleted all the spam accounts right before I posted that message above. In the time it took for me to write it and post in 2 more had signed up.