cam belt change

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 25, 2009, 09:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I am gonna start on the timing belt change on my Jetta today...  will replace the water pump  and fresh coolant too.

I got the parts...  got the Bentley manual,  got the tools for camshaft  and crank  holding
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

we've got one at work that dropped a valve at 60K
VW won't warrenty it, either...

anyway, i've got access to alldata and i'll be out in the shop today if you need info
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

zzford

Tony, it's apiece a cake. Unless its a diesel, you don't even have to lock the cam etc. in place. I just put a paint dot to make up lining the sprockets easier to see.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "zzford"Tony, it's apiece a cake. Unless its a diesel, you don't even have to lock the cam etc. in place. I just put a paint dot to make up lining the sprockets easier to see.

My Jetta is a diesel....  the job is finished.

cam belt,  serpentine belt, cam belt tensioners, coolant change , water pump replaced...  93k  miles on the car
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"we've got one at work that dropped a valve at 60K
VW won't warrenty it, either...

Vee Dub is like many manufacturers that will not cover some items under warranty as regular folks think they should..  A dropped valve is something that usually does not happen at 60k miles though.  Has a cause been determined for the dropped valve yet?

My dual mass fly wheel on my Jetta rattled a little at 66k miles... I knew there was no need to call VW for an inspection since the power train warranty ends at 60k.  the flywheel is a known area where it can fail in a wide range of mileage from 30k  to over 100k miles..

There is now a developing history of the camshaft and bearings for the cam wearing out at various mileage from 40k  to 80K miles.. the lobes for the fuel injectors are narrow and can wear excessively.  Camshaft has replaceable  split bearing shell design on the BRM model VW  diesel engine.

It has become enough of a problem that after market suppliers have put together a camshaft replacement kit with new cam , bearings and related parts... around 900 dollars.

I think I need a Honda or Toyota car in 2010  or buy an old chevy that I can actually work on easier ... that older car  will * off the wife

:shock:
Tony

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"... that older car  will * off the wife

:shock:

well you wouldn't be doing your duty as a man if you didn't * off the once in a while :twisted:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

zzford

I was a VW mechanic for 25 years and although I think the cars are nice when new, I wouldn't own one for any longer than the warantee would cover it. It seems that VW's develop a lot of expensive problems with age...just like me.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "zzford"I was a VW mechanic for 25 years and although I think the cars are nice when new, I wouldn't own one for any longer than the warantee would cover it. It seems that VW's develop a lot of expensive problems with age...just like me.

I tend to agree (the VW) on problems develop with age - miles

The VW crowd seem very hard core folks , more so than some Mopar / AMC people I know.  :shock:

The VW folks tend to buy parts from the dealer when ever possible, if there is a problem with a car asked on an internet forum... someone often suggest to read the owners manual or the Bentley manual rather than offer advice.

If this car shows signs of a camshaft problem ... POOF!  it is gone.  Actually I am looking around for the next car now.  Tomslik in Colorado has me on Toyota stuff.  That guy is tops for information..

I already received a 'hell no' from my wife on the purchase of an older chevy car for daily driving....

:lol:
Tony