Longer to warm up with aluminum intake

Started by junkyardjeff, December 16, 2009, 07:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I have noticed since I put a aluminum intake on my car I have to leave the choke (manual) on longer then when it had the cast iron intake,it seems its more cold nature then before and I am thinking about going back to the cast iron intake so could this be or a figment of my imagination.

jaybee

Hmmm, could it be that the new manifold causes the engine to run a little leaner, so that it requires a bit more choke?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

junkyardjeff

I might have to fatten the carb up some since I might have too big of exhaust for the motor,its a 302 with shorty headers and 2 1/4 pipes but I dont remember it needing the choke for this long when I had a Holley 500 CFM 2 bbl on the factroy cast iron intake.  The carb on it now is a Holley 600 CFM 4 bbl which one would think might be a little too big for this motor,its cold nature when the weather is warm too and I might have not paid that much attntion to it a couple years ago since I just recently got the heater working better and it can be driven comfortably in colder weather now.

Flipper

What kind of intake?  If it is one of the "air gap" style...yeah it will take longer to warm up.

junkyardjeff

Edelbrock performer and I dont think I put the restrictors in the exhaust passage,the intake will be coming off next spring as a head needs to come of and get a guide replaced and if I did put the restrictors in they will be coming off.  This motor seemed to run better with the 2 bbl but I might have to jet the 4 bbl some as I think it comes with 66 jets on the primary side and I know the 2 bbl had 71s.

wayne petty

motorcraft/autolite jet numbers do not match Holley jet numbering..

a box stock aftermarket carb is almost never perfect for every combo..

stock exhaust usually has some kind of restriction on one side..  so it has a little more back pressure to force the exhaust gasses across the intake to warm the bottom of the carb;....    a thermal spring controlled trap door..  but with headers.. there is little restriction on one side more than the other...    

this i don't know if it will help in the COLD weather.. or if they ever made it.. someone will know...    under some carbs.. built into the mounting gasket.. is a heated grid.. under the primaries..  

???  has anybody ever seen one for a holley flange carb???????
here is one for a spread bore flange...

http://www.carburetion.com/images/EFE/1670-1668.jpg
just remove it for summer driving..

this way.. you could power it up during COLD weather starts..  to warm the fuel mixture coming in..    

on your headers???? is there a oxygen sensor bung????   where you could screw one in.. and wire it to a air fuel ratio gauge from someplace like JCwhitney???

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/textsearch_result.jcw?sku=air+fuel+ration+gauge&shopid=100001&_requestid=2018383

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=air%20fuel%20ratio%20gauge&dds=1

at AZ

Sunpro / 2 in. black Style Line electrical Air/Fuel ratio gauge
Price:$29.99
Normally stocked at your local store
Part Number:   CP8210
Weight:   1.0 lbs
Type:    without Oxygen Sensor
2 in.
Description:    Air/Fuel ratio gauge
Type:    Electrical
Face Color:    Black
Panel Color:    Black
Bezel Color:    Black
Size:    2 in.
Fits:    2 1/16 in. mounting hole

junkyardjeff

Since the headers are for the late 80s to mid 90s trucks they are made for O2 sensors and I remember one of those electric grids under the carb on my moms chevette and that seems like a good idea if one is made for a 4 bbl,could hook it to a switch and turn it on while the motor warms up.  I dont remeber it running like this with the 2 bbl but since it had no heat it was parked by early november and usually I have to lean out a carb and this is the first I have to richen up but I never usually had headers on the motors too.

junkyardjeff

It might help it to have a heat tube going down to one of the headers from the air cleaner so I am going to look for a dual snorkle air cleaner from a 84ish mustang GT and I think a kit was made to attach a heat tube to headers.  Its got a original 65 air cleaner (no tube to the manifold) with holes drilled in the lid to let more air in so that might be too much on cold days,if I cant find one cheap I will go to the local junkyard and find a stock single snorkle and and get another snout and make my own.

wayne petty

if doing junk yard runs for hot air stuff.. be sure to walk the mid 80's ford section...  some of them came with orange 'ish  silicone hot air hoses...  work far better than the foil versions..

oh... 80's ford trucks and vans also came with holley 4 bbl carbs... so the air cleaner assy will fit on your holley ...

i got a neat air cleaner housing  off a 85 econoline with a 460... has a second vacuum operated trap door in the rear... lets extra air in ...

junkyardjeff

It looks like I need a couple of the van air cleaners as I just put a 460 in my 66 F250 and it has a cheesey small open air cleaner on it.