Lazy Lifter

Started by moose, December 12, 2009, 08:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Oh wise (and not so wise) Ones.

Daily is a 1998 GMC Z71 with the 5.7 350 engine. 128,000 miles. I experienced the need to reseal the intake. One residual issue I have is a "lazy" lifter. Engine is strong smoke free trouble free otherwise.

I have at least one lifter that will be slow to pump up. There is no consistant pattern to it. It will go a few days where it is quiet right from the first start of the day then other times it will be slow every time. It always eventually pumps up. I have tried oil change and Rislone but still does it. Any other remedies short of replacement?

Right now it is just inconvienent but worry that it may worsen.

Thanks

Tim

wayne petty

just curious....   was there any sludge in the motor when you had the intake off????

and have you tried a little marvel mystery oil instead of rislone... to wash the varnish off the lifter internals..

just curious...

348tripower

You might try adding SeaFoam also. I have had fairly good results with it.
Don Colliau

papastoyss

Old mechanics trick: add a quart of diesel fuel & run at a fast idle for 15-20 minutes & change oil. Does a good job on varnish.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Digger

We used to put a qt. of ATF in and drive for a couple of days with good results. Don't know if that will work with todays oils.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger