Shipping a Hot rod from east coast to west coast

Started by Topsterguy, December 10, 2009, 10:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hey Folks!  I'm looking at buying a car that's in Connetticut, Stamford to be exact, and having it transported out here to Bellingham Wa. Never had a car transported before, so NO idea where to start etc!  Anyone have experience in this, as in what companies are best, ones to stay away from, what it should cost, what to ask etc etc etc!? As always, you help is MUCH appreciated!  Larry
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Topsterguy

PS Anyone know this car from back there? Owned by Marshall Labow.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

wayne petty

i would think that picking up a copy of hemmings motor news.. might help...

there are various trucks criss crossing the country all the time...  you might have to wait for space..

stanford ct...  i think thats where GT40 motorsports is.. he ships cars all over the world.. or so it seems so..  

if you cannot find something..  last resort to contact him..

his name wayne also..

right now.. i would really want the person on the ct end.. to verify that there is a proper level of antifreeze protection before you send it off in the back of an unheated truck cross country..     where it might be exposed to -40 temps..

these are just ideas...  not to be followed ...  not to be taken seriously..

the place i worked at in the 80's shipped a lot of cars.. one really rare original out of a storage garage got totally trashed crossing the country..   guess the driver did not know that it was sold for 50K.. and needed a complete restoration.. so glad it was insured... but that was the only car that got damaged in years of shipping...  frame bent, body bent, sides flattened, side moldings flattened..

i wonder if any of the container companies have modified any 20 or 28 footers for transporting cars on stack trains..  doors on both ends...   rings in the floors for hold down cables to pass through..... after you jack up the car and lower it on rubber coated blocks...   so it cannot move..  or what ever it takes to lock it down...  perhaps a single walk through door on the blank end.. so there is structural strength...

Topsterguy

Thanks Wayne! A few good points there! Yeah, I think I'd be pretty paranoid about it being in a hauler right now with the weather the way it is etc. If it was spring or summer no problem - I'm retired so just fly out drive home and take my time....and take in a show or two along the way! :)

wayne petty

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Thanks Wayne! A few good points there! Yeah, I think I'd be pretty paranoid about it being in a hauler right now with the weather the way it is etc. If it was spring or summer no problem - I'm retired so just fly out drive home and take my time....and take in a show or two along the way! :)

i popped onto another web site.. and somebody posted a transport company.. i found the wanted to prove their ability by linking to this site.. that might actually be a good thing to read up in...

http://www.transportreviews.com/

Topsterguy

Good one!  Interesting, especially where a few of them had the highest cost and the lowest ratings! One main thing is I don't think I'd want to have a roadster transported on an open trailer in the weather happening now!

58 Yeoman

There is a guy on the HAMB that is supposed to be good; at least they rave about him.  Said he's busy hauling cars all over.  But, being that I wasn't looking for a hauler, I didn't lock his name in my memory.  You might try over there.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

sirstude

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"There is a guy on the HAMB that is supposed to be good; at least they rave about him.  Said he's busy hauling cars all over.  But, being that I wasn't looking for a hauler, I didn't lock his name in my memory.  You might try over there.

That would probably be BenD on the HAMB.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

HotRodLadyCrusr

Yep, BenD is AWESOME, and reasonable 417-818-0844
He will recommend Rick if he's not able to do the job.  Rick is a great guy as well but I'm not fimliar with his pricing.  

IF I had to use a large name company it would be FedEX or Reliable.  You can probably go to their website and get a quote based on milage.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

kb426

That car looks like it deserves an enclosed ride across the country.
TEAM SMART

Harry

Quote from: "kb426"That car looks like it deserves an enclosed ride across the country.

I had a car shipped from Montreal to Vancouver on the railroad. I got a deal...$600.00   Seaair rail or something...They drop the car off at Annacis Island near Vancouver.
I picked it up and drove over to Victoria.

dragrcr50

i have had about 80 shipped via D&G trucking in winnsborough texas, all over the contry.  they are picking up a roller  chevy two tomorrow to go to iowa for me. and i priced an open trailer from philly to okc  at 750.00 never had a problem and they have enclosed available as well ask for candice  1-902-342-3493   good luck  oh and do not use DAS  bad people and very expensive by the time you get done with them
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Topsterguy

Thanks a LOT guys! MUCH appreciated!  Yeah, I definitely would have it shipped in a closed trailer without a doubt!  Don't think it'd be a good idea for a roadster on an open one!!

kb426

I second the DAS comment. I know several people that had unpleasant surprises.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

Here's a discussion from a while back where chevygirlrox (Megan) suggested a couple of transporters.  She works at a place that sells and ships classic cars all over the country.  There's also many similar comments as here.
George