OT..Small Engine Repair...

Started by UGLY OLDS, December 09, 2009, 08:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Anybody ever use one of those electronic ignition conversions to replace the points & condenser in a small engine??  How are they wired?? How do they work with the existing flywheel?? Are the any good ????  ( Other than not having to change points ) ...  I have a 4 Horse Tecumseh that must be removed from the snowblower to get the flywheel shroud off...Its getting old ..... :(        
Thanxxxx....

Bob........... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Beck

I have not seen the conversion you are talking about but have constructed my own. Using a Mopar ignition box from pre computer days you can build your own ignition for a small motor. The hardest part is building a hall effect trigger system. There are economical sensors that can be mounted near the flywheel. There has to be a bracket built that has some adjustment to get the timing right. I built mine for a Kohler single cylinder garden tractor motor. My intention was to use this in a pulling tractor. Unfortunately after I had it completed and running I found it was not legal in the class rules. It would not have been detectable since it was all under the sheet metal but I played by the rules. The system I built just required me to drill and tap a hole in the flywheel. Into this hole I just inserted a small bolt. The bolt head just created a ferrous hump. That hump is what triggered the hall effect pickup. The pickup was wired to the Mopar box, which fired the coil. The coil wire went straight to the plug since it was single cylinder. With the time it would take to make all this it would probably be easier to just take your stock setup apart for repairs as needed. Better yet, move south so you don't need a snowblower. You must be north of me and got that nasty white stuff yesterday. I saw all of my old wiring diagrams for this earlier in the week as I was cleaning house. I threw them away. I do still have most of the parts laying in a drawer. Email me if your interested I may know where to find drawings online.

enjenjo

I have one around here someplace, I have never installed it. I bought it on the recommendation of a buddy who  has a small engine shop, but found that my problem was fuel related.

As I recall, it cost about $15, and only had two wires.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/SmEngElectUIgn.html/mv_session_id=UvKMERIt
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Thanks Beck ...I've seen that on line also ..Much more than I'm tryin' to do with this one ...The one Frank posted the addy to is the one I was thinking about ...Maybe you guys are right ...It's a 1978 machine ...Let see...1978 /2009 on 1 set of points. :?   Maybe its time for another set ... :lol:  :roll:   Prolly could use a new plug too. :idea:

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

DLHCC

used a few of them , work great , should be instructions with the kit .

Ed ke6bnl

I got one of them for a lawn motor and installed in on a 2 stroke aircooled tiny boat motor and worked fine.  My question will it work on my new toy trail 70 Honda motorcyle.  My son in law paid about $90 for an electronic  module off ebay this would be great if it works thanks ED
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,