Boyd Coddington's place on TV

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 07, 2004, 10:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"If people are willing to pay $100/hour to have "Blue Bear" work on their cars, I must be doing something terribly wrong.

Bob

======= dang good point. I would not let him sweep my floors

here is a pic of the tranny for the GG car at Boyds.  

You sharp mechanic guys , where are the bolts for the front pump  on that red cover?.

The answer;  the bolts are behind that red cover. The cover is held in place with a snap ring. The cover has molded rubber seals on the ID &  OD
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

And how many times are they going to have to cut and rework things
to make it fit properly ?    :shock:

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "unklian"And how many times are they going to have to cut and rework things
to make it fit properly ?    :shock:

Just once.....

Once they find that the crossmember has been welded in the wrong place (most likely by "Blue Bear") and doesn't meet up with the rear transmission mount, they'll machine up a new mount - breaking a tool in the process so Mike will have to beg the elder, not-so-trophy-like, Mrs. Coddington to buy a new one.

They will then TIG-weld the new piece to the transmission tailshaft housing.

But, that will come only after machining the original mount off the housing because it interfered with the location of the new one.

Of course, they will go through three tailshaft housings because they machined right through the thin area where the original mount was cast in.

That'll be a "permanent" fix.....as long as you remember to transfer that particular tailshaft housing over to any future transmission replacement.

Funny, I used to have a sign hanging in my school shop that stated, "Anything ALMOST right...is Wrong!"

Never saw that one hanging at Boyd's.....

Bob Paulin
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Bib_Overalls

Ya gotta hope, for the customer's sake, that the bafoonery is staged.  It works on American Chopper because of the personalities involved and the fact that they are always going forward.  The show has turned the Orange County guys in motorcycling life style icons.  But it ain't working for Boyd.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Bib_Overalls

Ya got me.  But, until I saw snow in one episode I thought it was set in Southern California.  Had trouble with the accents.  They didn't fit SoCal but your right.  There are a lot of folks in Florida who talk like dat.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

unklian

I guess Boyd is counting on Tshirt sales,
to make up for the loss in business credibility.

Was his place always like that ?

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Ya got me.  But, until I saw snow in one episode I thought it was set in Southern California.  Had trouble with the accents.  They didn't fit SoCal but your right.  There are a lot of folks in Florida who talk like dat.

....yup, and a lot of them are standing in line at the restaurant doors for the 4 p.m. "earlybird specials".....not exactly native Floridians.

Interestingly, on one of the OCC episodes, Mikey gets a call from some airhead female who - even after dialing their area code - asked Mikey if they were in Orange County New York, or Orange County Califronia.

B.P.

P.S. - Since I notice you edited your message, I will remove the barb I wrote...

Again, it was all in fun....no harm intended.

Anyway, with your correction my attempt at humor falls on its face....LOL!!!!

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Rayvyn

I had an unfortunate run in with him in York, Pa. back in 97 at the Nats East. Let's just say that something I ordered didn't fit, and when I approached him about it, he didn't seem to give a S### and blew me off in front of a bunch of other folks.

I wouldn't take the time to whiz on the bastard if he was on fire. `Nuff said...
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

jaybee

Quote from: "Rayvyn"...Let's just say that something I ordered didn't fit, and when I approached him about it, he didn't seem to give a S### and blew me off in front of a bunch of other folks.

I wouldn't take the time to whiz on the bastard if he was on fire. `Nuff said...

So what?  He treated you like he treats everyone else.  After all, a good share of what he builds for his own cars doesn't fit the first time, either!

:roll:
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jaybee"
So what?  He treated you like he treats everyone else.  After all, a good share of what he builds for his own cars doesn't fit the first time, either!

:roll:

========== Boyd oftens the street rod crew ;  'it's a hotrod , stuff does not fit the first time'  He must apply this to his parts that are sold

I liked the show where the Boydster drilled the hole for the steering column in the wrong place.

Anyone watch the Monster House?  Interesting quality of building  folks there too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

QuoteInteresting quality of building folks there too.

Quick and Dirty ? :shock:

Giving real Craftsmen a bad reputation. :roll:

Sean

Quote from: "unklian"

Giving real Craftsmen a bad reputation. :roll:

I quit watching the show because I was getting the same feeling. I had always assumed Coddington was 100% professional until the show came out. After seeing several episodes, I wouldn't hire him and his Clowns even if I could afford it.....

2rods

Didn't he go broke a few years ago?

unklian

Went Public first.
Sold a bunch of stock,cashed in bigtime.
Found a new Wife.
Screwed the company into the ground.
Filed for bankruptcy.
Lost the rights to the name "Boyd".
Bought back most of the assets for pennies on the dollar.
Started up again as B. Coddington Wheels.

He made his name the first time in the magazines.
Now he's making a name for himself on TV.  :roll:

His ex-wife,the Bean counter,still owns a BIG piece of the action.  
And I'm pretty sure,she was the Bean Counter before the bankruptcy.

merc50

It just kills me to watch the show and yet I keep doing it...what is they used to say about train wrecks and NASCAR :lol:

At least the OCC guys get stuff done and Jr. works on the stuff every show and you have seen Sr. turn a wrench.  Im not crazy about some of the stuff they do but you can tell they do have talent...same for Mr. James working the english wheel on those shows.

Boyd just stands around and if he does touch it he seems to mess it up.

I found the show the other night when they were working on the alumitub really interesting...they give a drawing to a guy and tell him to have at it...he does a dang fine job with what he has to work with...the pin head shop manager complains and Boyd stands around and talks about the collaberation as if he is doing anything.  He did not draw the pics and he aint working on the body or nothing and he keeps saying "I" and "We" about everything being done to the car.   WHAT A TRIP AND A EGO :shock:

The other thing that kills me, and I MIGHT be wrong...but people at the 40th I think were getting autographs from Brizio and such and they seemed happy to do it...but does Boyd actually charge for them?  He was not real nice to fans of the show walking up to him or kids from what I could see...I bet James, Brizio, Troy, and the rest would never turn away from a kid.

I think maybe those guys might just be in a different league than Boyd :wink: