Boyd Coddington's place on TV

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 07, 2004, 10:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

The company I work for ( Hughes Performance) is supplying a 5 speed automatic Mopar tranny for a Boyd car under construction.  As i understand it .... the car is a GoodGuys deal, perhaps a contest give away?

Duane called our shop 2 weeks ago, he talked to my boss ; the tranny dept manager.  My boss knew nothing of this deal.  Duane was not happy.

All is well since the sales manager and general manager was on top of the deal but had not told the tranny dept manager yet ..... go figure

So IF the camera was rolling on Duane while he talked to my boss I am sure there were plenty of 4 letter words bleeped out after Duane hung up the phone from talking  to my boss.  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

rumrumm

Four years ago I was told by an acquaintance who had talked to Boyd that he got $100.00/per hour per man for shop time. At that price, I'm sure any kind of delay gets very expensive, very quickly. I can understand why things get tense.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

unklian

That show reminds me too much of all the **le bosses
I've had over the years. :twisted:

Glad I'm not paying $100/hr for them to screw with my car.

HotRodLadyCrusr

I believe the giveaway rod that Boyd is building for GG is a HEMI powered something or another, so a Mopar trans makes since.  I can't remember exactly what is was on the flyer I just got...... 34 maybe??  I think it was painted yellow.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

unklian

I hope it's not the same ugly Yellow and Blue combination from
the other Goodguys give away. :roll:

Or is it the same car?

HotRodLadyCrusr

I just got home and pulled the GG flyer outta the trash.  It's a yellow, normal yellow, if there is such a thing, hemi-powered, 5 window deuce that they are giving away.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Dave

Quote from: "rumrumm"Four years ago I was told by an acquaintance who had talked to Boyd that he got $100.00/per hour per man for shop time. At that price, I'm sure any kind of delay gets very expensive, very quickly. I can understand why things get tense.

And I was upset about what the painter charged me to paint my louvered hood side panels for the 32. Actually im * but im carefully thinking out my options. I just cant believe its worth 500.00 to paint 2 panels for a 32 and no body work but the right side could have used a little. I even had em sanded with 150 grit ready to prime. Humm maybe my possibly soon to be ex friend and painter should go to work for Boyd..
Dave

Crosley.In.AZ

Yep, it is the new  Hemi powered &  late model tranny under the control of an OE computer.

We have a tranny on the shelf , but not the correct tail housing for a 2wd setup.

On this new Mopar tranny .... they build them all the same with a short output shaft.  If you need a 4x4 setup , you bolt on a adapter that the transfer case bolts to & use the short output shaft.

If you need a 2x4 setup , you bolt on the tail housing that contains a short output shaft extension inside the housing with bearing. This creates a 2wd tranny with seal at the end for the slip yoke.

We do not have the tail housing setup for the 2x4 deal . The cores that came in yesterday, only one was a 2x4 tail setup.  The problem is the tail is broke from the accident the vehicle was in.

So ........ today as we chat about the BS in trying to find a tail housing, I ask my boss when Boyd's place is needing the tranny.  His response : "last week".

If they are filming this car build up I imagine the tranny guys are getting MF'd at this point... LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bib_Overalls

I always woundered why Boyd's shop was so neat and clean with all the project cars seemingly unattended.  Their owners are working both sides of the stree to come up with another four grand to buy a week's worth of work.

$100 per hour seems excessive.  But in the end it is not cost per hour but the overall cost and what you get for it.  If you are happy you are happy.  If you are * about the price then you were in the wrong place to begin with.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

jaybee

Have to admit I can't help watching the show...sort of like a slow-motion train wreck.  Plus they always get it right in the end so there's some neat stuff to see.

Maybe "right" is a poor choice of words.  Looked over the yellow/blue GG car last weekend.  They've changed out the upholstery from what was shown on TV.  The vacuum advance is plugged, and there were some other things I can't remember off the top that made me wonder how well the car is really sorted out.

And still I enjoy the show.  If I worked their it would HAVE to be in the bodyshop, though.  He's the only one of the bunch I'd be able to put up with.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

unklian

QuoteIf I worked their it would HAVE to be in the bodyshop, though. He's the only one of the bunch I'd be able to put up with.  

And he's probably the only painter, I've seen on TV,
that wears a proper suit when he's spraying.

If Boyd is charging $100/hr,
how many of his guys are making 1/5 of that ?

How many are worth even that much ? :roll:

58 Yeoman

I only watched his show once a couple weeks ago (I got rid of my sat dish). I think it was a Ford roadster that he was building, but the rear tires would hit the car, so he sent his flunky to buy some spacers. Came back with the wrong ones, so boyd was in the back cutting some new ones. First, didn't he make the wheels for the car? Why didn't he just make some new ones with less offset? A customer spending all that money on a car, and it went out with wheel spacers? I'd be upset. :evil:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

rumrumm

Actually, $100.00/hour may not be that out of line considering mechanics around me are charging half that much for shop  time.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

nomobux

Friend of mine just picked up his Boyds 32 roller / stretched, pinched, hi-tech front & rear. Not even plumbed. Late as usual and 20K. They loaded it for free on the flatbed. It was built for a dearborn deuce retractable hi-boy. Funny .. the trans and motor mounts are 1 1/2 " too far forward. Guess who's not responding to the phone calls.
:b-d:  \" I GOTTS NOMOBUX \" :b-d:

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "rumrumm"Four years ago I was told by an acquaintance who had talked to Boyd that he got $100.00/per hour per man for shop time. At that price, I'm sure any kind of delay gets very expensive, very quickly. I can understand why things get tense.

If people are willing to pay $100/hour to have "Blue Bear" work on their cars, I must be doing something terribly wrong.

Bob
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green