Aluminum Radiators

Started by 40 Chev Coupe, November 15, 2009, 08:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev Coupe

Looking for a radiator for my Merc. Does anybody here know of anything about Speedways Universal radiators? They list them for racing but how would they hold up to everyday use in a street car?
Or, any other  brands?

enjenjo

If it's the right size, it should be fine. Do understand that they are for the most part, throw away radiators, they are usually not repairable.

I use PRC, they build custom radiators to your specs, as well as having "stock" radiators for popular applications.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

t-vicky

Have user them on quite a few cars & they work good. Have to make your own mounts but thats no big deal.

chopped

Got one from Jeg's, same thing. Been in my Buick a year and no complaints, about $150. No mounts and no ATF cooler.

rumrumm

You cannot beat PRC radiators for workmanship and effective cooling.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

HotRodLadyCrusr

I'd be careful ordering the PRC radiator off that old Streetrod Stuff website.  Not too long ago a pal didn't get his radiator nor return emails.  There are new owners I guess.  Not sure if anything has been resolved.

I went to a local radiator shop and had them build me a custom AL one and fan schoud to match.  Was way less than purchasing a Walker, Be Cool or any of those other name brand ones.  I've got over 100,000 miles on my radiator in 7 summers and have yet to have one issue with it.  Best $425 I ever spent on Big Olds.

Purchase right the first time and be done with it.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

enjenjo

PRC has their own web site  http://www.prchotrod.com/ They were not connected to SRS other than as a dealer for PRC.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40_Tudor

I have a PRC in my 40 with 5L TPI. The only compaint is it runs too cold. 195 Thermostat it runs about 180 deg.
Electric fan should last years. I test the fan a couple of time a season just to make sure it still works.
Good radiators.

kb426

I use PRC in my 32. I had a problem and they replaced it. I was out the freight to return it and that was all. It had 1500 miles on it when it started leaking. I threw away the original box about 2 weeks before it started. I still have the box for the replacement in the shed.  :)
TEAM SMART

Ohio Blue Tip

I put a PRC in my 34 last year and I'm very pleased.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

WINGNUTZ

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I'd be careful ordering the PRC radiator off that old Streetrod Stuff website.  Not too long ago a pal didn't get his radiator nor return emails.  There are new owners I guess.  Not sure if anything has been resolved.

I went to a local radiator shop and had them build me a custom AL one and fan schoud to match.  Was way less than purchasing a Walker, Be Cool or any of those other name brand ones.  I've got over 100,000 miles on my radiator in 7 summers and have yet to have one issue with it.  Best $425 I ever spent on Big Olds.

Purchase right the first time and be done with it.

Hey Denise... Got a New Walker from "The Hot Rod Company" in Madison WI from Mike paid $417 Total with a certain alliance discount!

I've had two Walkers last over 20 years each and there's a quality story right there.

rumrumm

I have an AFCO radiator in my '32, and AFCO's are good radiators. I have no problems with it and it cools very well. But the workmanship on the PRC is much better, and it is repairable. Had I known it at the time, I would have opted for a PRC.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

57larry

I always used Walker, a good quality radiator

47convert

I used Walker HD rads in a couple of my cars but still had some heating problems on hot days and in traffic. The rad I have in my coupe is one of those Griffon Aluminum rads. I think Griffon has gone TU but It's the best piece I ever had. This is a 34 Highboy with a mild small block Chevy and a full stock hood. I originally put it together with no T Stat and couldn't get the temp over 180 degress all summer. I use a steel 7 blade stock car fan with no clutch. Now that the weather is cooler and I finally hooked up my heater hoses I couldn't get the heat gauge to move off of cold. I installed a 160 T Stat and it comes right up to 160 and stays there. Too bad this company is no longer around.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "47convert"I used Walker HD rads in a couple of my cars but still had some heating problems on hot days and in traffic. The rad I have in my coupe is one of those Griffon Aluminum rads. I think Griffon has gone TU but It's the best piece I ever had. This is a 34 Highboy with a mild small block Chevy and a full stock hood. I originally put it together with no T Stat and couldn't get the temp over 180 degress all summer. I use a steel 7 blade stock car fan with no clutch. Now that the weather is cooler and I finally hooked up my heater hoses I couldn't get the heat gauge to move off of cold. I installed a 160 T Stat and it comes right up to 160 and stays there. Too bad this company is no longer around.

I have a Griffin in my 50 F1 with a 327 and it runs very cool with the dual spal 11" fans. only complaint is that they epoxy the ends and may be a problem if a repair is needed. 1.5 in tubes 2 row.  But not single problem in the lase few years. ED
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,