Hey Enjenjo

Started by papastoyss, November 04, 2009, 06:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

I seem to remember when you posted about Fat Cat's Chevy you used a product called Rust Bullet. What is your opinion of it, is it big $, did you spray or brush it, how does it compare to Por 15?THANKS
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

I like it. In fact I used to sell it. The reason I no longer sell it has nothing to do with the quality.

It is a similar product to POR15, but has some advantages. POR15 has a short recoat window, without sanding, 12 to 24 hours. After that, nothing will stick to it without sanding. Rust Bullet can be recoated for up to 6 months, without sanding. POR15 will not stick well to clean metal, without etching. Rust Bullet works as well on clean metal as it does on rusty metal. You can use Rust Bullet under body filler, with glass cloth like resin, and on steel aluminum, fiberglass, or SMC. You can recoat it with any paint I have tried. It also sands easier than POR15.

Last I looked there was a guy selling it on EBay for about $33 a quart. There are two formulas, silver can, and gold can. The silver can has more solids.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have the siver  rust bullet on the floors of my Falcon....  after I replaced rusted  floor pan sections with fresh metal 4 yrs ago.

there is no floor covering ,  the rust bullet is holding up very well
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

HotRodLadyCrusr

Yep, I used it on Big Olds inside the whole people compartment and trunk.  Was very happy with the results.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Danimal

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Yep, I used it on Big Olds inside the whole people compartment and trunk.  Was very happy with the results.

People compartment. Now that's just friendly! I'm sold.

purplepickup

Here's a pic of a steel septic tank cover that I sprayed with Rust Bullet in the late '90s and it's been outdoors in Michigan weather ever since.  I purposely sprayed a light coat right over rust with no prep to see what would happen.   Two coats are recommended.  I've used it for lots of stuff and love it.

If you're sensitive to isocyanates like I am, be careful around the fumes.
George

papastoyss

Quote from: "purplepickup"Here's a pic of a steel septic tank cover that I sprayed with Rust Bullet in the late '90s and it's been outdoors in Michigan weather ever since.  I purposely sprayed a light coat right over rust with no prep to see what would happen.   Two coats are recommended.  I've used it for lots of stuff and love it.

If you're sensitive to isocyanates like I am, be careful around the fumes.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I was thinkihg about using it on the underside  & inside my 40 coupe project. Wonder if it would lay down & flow out brush marks like POR 15 does. I would rather brush instead of spraying because of the fumes. Inside doesn't matter but I prefer the silver gray color for the bottom of the body. THANKS

purplepickup

Quote from: "papastoyss"Yeah, I was wondering about that. I was thinking about using it on the underside  & inside my 40 coupe project. Wonder if it would lay down & flow out brush marks like POR 15 does. I would rather brush instead of spraying because of the fumes. Inside doesn't matter but I prefer the silver gray color for the bottom of the body. THANKS
Yes, it flows out the brush marks similar to POR15 but you'll get fumes from brushing too.  After we did Denise's car I threw up, had a blazing headache, and trouble breathing for a week.  We did that in a closed garage and most of it was brushed.  Other people weren't affected like me but I've had too many exposures and am very sensitive to isocyanates.  POR 15 would have done that to me too.
George

papastoyss

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "papastoyss"Yeah, I was wondering about that. I was thinking about using it on the underside  & inside my 40 coupe project. Wonder if it would lay down & flow out brush marks like POR 15 does. I would rather brush instead of spraying because of the fumes. Inside doesn't matter but I prefer the silver gray color for the bottom of the body. THANKS
Yes, it flows out the brush marks similar to POR15 but you'll get fumes from brushing too.  After we did Denise's car I threw up, had a blazing headache, and trouble breathing for a week.  We did that in a closed garage and most of it was brushed.  Other people weren't affected like me but I've had too many exposures and am very sensitive to isocyanates.  POR 15 would have done that to me too.
Were you wearing a resperator  (?)mask or just toughing it out? Sounds like I may have to take this outside.

purplepickup

Quote from: "papastoyss"Were you wearing a resperator  (?)mask or just toughing it out?
I was being stupid...no respirator. :(D)

I've got a fresh air respirator outfit for painting at home but I wasn't home.   :|
George

HotRodLadyCrusr

I got a headache and wasn't feeling up to snuff afterwards either. :oops:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

ONE37TUDOR

I have use both and would have to say that both products have their uses.
I really like the POR-15 better if you are trying to get coverage is all the cracks and hidden areas. It is so thin it will run down into very small areas. The Rust Bullet is somewhat thicker and will not get into some areas as well.
I have never attempted to spray the Rust Bullet but I have the POR-15. I used it inside a truck cab with no doors or windows and while outside in the open air and I used a mask the whole time and still was nearly overcome by the fumes and have problems breathing ever sense when painting anything.
I now use a Hobby Air II supplied air system when painting and sure wish I would have bought it before the POR-15 episode.

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

Crosley.In.AZ

I like the rust bullet from the pint it is slightly thicker .

I had no headache or other problems after I woke up
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Digger

A good friend got sick using POR15, had all kinds of breathing problems and now has to carry a little oxygen tank with him. He was also a smoker so I am not pinning all the blame on the product. The warnings are all there so I can't stress this enough--this is some nasty and dangerous stuff guys, WEAR A MASK! and have plenty of ventilation especially if you have a attached garage. The fumes can creep into your house too.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Digger"I can't stress this enough--this is some nasty and dangerous stuff guys, WEAR A MASK! and have plenty of ventilation especially if you have a attached garage. The fumes can creep into your house too.

A guy I know almost died from exposure.  .....He was in the hospital for awhile to recover.

He was wearing appropriate breathing protection while painting, but his bedroom was directly above the garage where he painted.  .....His exposure occurred during the night, while he slept.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!