Have anybody had any problems with 10% alcohol in gas ?

Started by Learpilot, October 25, 2009, 04:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

Has anybody had any problems with 10% alcohol or ethanol ?
My Mothers 2000 Lincoln Town Car owners manual says do not run any Fuel containing  Methanol. Is that the same as Ethanol or Alcohol ?
Most of the gas stations say that they sell gas with 10% or less alcohol.
Thanks !!!
Rick

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a pal who drove gasoline delivery tankers fo a nomber of years. He say Michigan allows up to 10% ethanol (don'y know if that includes the other "hols" or not) in gasoline and that the consumer doesn't need to know. Hasn't hurt any of my dailies or hot rods to my knowledge.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Learpilot"Has anybody had any problems with 10% alcohol or ethanol ?
My Mothers 2000 Lincoln Town Car owners manual says do not run any Fuel containing  Methanol. Is that the same as Ethanol or Alcohol ?
Most of the gas stations say that they sell gas with 10% or less alcohol.
Thanks !!!
Rick

Methanol is not the same thing as ethanol. But they are both alcohols. One of the drawbacks of methanol as a fuel is its corrosivity to some metals, including aluminium. That is probably why the owners manual suggest not using it in your mom's car. Any product that includes nitromethane is going to have some methanol in it. I am sure there are some additive products that have it but do not know of any off the top of my head.

jaybee

Methanol is chemically similar to Ethanol but more chemically active (tougher on rubber, aluminum, etc.).  Modern fuel systems are pretty well suited to alcohols up to 10% though, since they've been available in some parts of the country for 30 years.  Here in Iowa it's always labeled at the pumps because the farmers like selling that corn for Ethanol.  I've never had an issue with it.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Learpilot

Quote from: "jaybee"Methanol is chemically similar to Ethanol but more chemically active (tougher on rubber, aluminum, etc.).  Modern fuel systems are pretty well suited to alcohols up to 10% though, since they've been available in some parts of the country for 30 years.  Here in Iowa it's always labeled at the pumps because the farmers like selling that corn for Ethanol.  I've never had an issue with it.

THANKS FOR ALL THR GREAT INFO !!!
Rick

jaybee

Quote from: "Fat Cat"Methanol is not the same thing as ethanol. But they are both alcohols. One of the drawbacks of methanol as a fuel is its corrosivity to some metals, including aluminium. That is probably why the owners manual suggest not using it in your mom's car. Any product that includes nitromethane is going to have some methanol in it. I am sure there are some additive products that have it but do not know of any off the top of my head.

I think Heet gas line antifreeze is nearly 100% Methanol?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Fat Cat

Quote from: "jaybee"
Quote from: "Fat Cat"Methanol is not the same thing as ethanol. But they are both alcohols. One of the drawbacks of methanol as a fuel is its corrosivity to some metals, including aluminium. That is probably why the owners manual suggest not using it in your mom's car. Any product that includes nitromethane is going to have some methanol in it. I am sure there are some additive products that have it but do not know of any off the top of my head.

I think Heet gas line antifreeze is nearly 100% Methanol?

I think that is the one I was thinking of.

C9

C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

rumrumm

I run alcohol blend in my daily drivers because it keeps the fuel system cleaner than regular gasoline.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Mikej

Crosley.In.AZ

A guy at work had problems with alcohol  and gasoline last year.... twice .

I think he gets his drivers license back next year
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

butch27

The ten percent loss of MPG is evident here in Michigan. That stuff sucks but that's all we have anymore. AND they tell the car companies to get better mileage !

Inprimer

maybe a little OT, does anyone know what kind gasket(in a tube) will withstand ethanol?? got a carb leak on a power washer, replaced gasket 2X and still leaks a little, looking for a sealer or.. that can take up the leak in the gasket which is rubber (and new)