Ford cruise control recall

Started by jaybee, October 14, 2009, 01:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Does anyone know what this switch is http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=1317683&_blg=1,1317683 that is located underhood and can also affect the ABS system?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

C9

Ford did a recall about four years back.
Affected my 2002 F-150 SuperCrew.

The switch in question at the time was on the front of the M/C and signalled the cruise control to drop out when the brakes were applied.

They didn't have the parts to do all the vehicles at the time so the first part of the recall was to unhook the switch and tie it back with a nylon wire tie.

After a few weeks the switch came in and another visit to Ford got the new switch installed.

First trip in, it took the mechanic about two minutes and was done in the Service Managers line.

Next time around, took about a half hour.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

purplepickup

I did get another letter just the other day for my '01 E150 but I figured it was the same recall I still haven't addressed from about 4 years ago.   Procrastinator?....me?...... I need to set up an appointment.
George

jaybee

OK, the "hydraulic fluid" mentioned in the article is actually brake fluid which figures.  It explains the connection between the ABS and cruise control, too.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

58 Yeoman

When I bought my '99 Ranger new, the CC cable had been cut, as they would fray and stick.  They replaced the cable when they caught up with the supply.  The second recall took about 5 minutes in the parking lot to replace the switch.  They said the truck could catch on fire just sitting in the garage.  I haven't heard about a third. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "purplepickup"I did get another letter just the other day for my '01 E150 but I figured it was the same recall I still haven't addressed from about 4 years ago.   Procrastinator?....me?...... I need to set up an appointment.

It is the same recall, I got one for my 93 too, it still is not done either. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

what has happened that caused the recall...

the switch shorts internally to ground..    not a good thing...

but the circuit that supplies power to the connector needs a fuse or a fusible link installed.. with a new connector...

when the switch dies and shorts to ground... it lets the smoke out of the wire..   it also causes a bunch of wires that are in the harness to also start smoking..

so ...   for the people who don't want to have their recall done.... please figure out which wire has power... and clip the wire and install a 10 amp fuse or a 18 gauge fusible link...

(one thing on fusible links.. fusible link wire has silicone insulation. the wire is also softer and flexible.. i have gotten little packages from the auto parts store and the 18 gauge fusible link was assembled with teflon insulated high temp wire... not a fusible link. i did call the manufacturer. they had their head in the sand... denied everything) i just thought i would share..

purplepickup

Took my van in today for the recall.  They fixed it right in the "honk for service" lane.  The switch was ok and all they did was something to the harness.
George

The Paisano

Is a switch mounted on your master cylinder.It's purpose is to act as a secondary backup to your cruise control.It shuts down the cruise when brake pressure is applied.they seep brake fluid and considerinng its a closed circuit when brakes are NOT applied its always has current going through it,till brake pressure is applied.Should have been wired the other way around.Its in line with brake switch and electronic servo.When brkae fluid seeps on it the wires have 12 volts going through it,heats up the brake fluid on top of it and catches the engine cpmarnet on fire.they have had this problem now for about 5 years
Paisano

Danimal

Now just don't get your floor mat stuck under the gas pedal or you'll have a Toyota.