32 Ford glass roadster bodies

Started by ragtag, September 20, 2009, 02:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragtag

Guys,
    I'm looking for a reasonably priced 32 glass roadster body to put on a chassis I already have built. I'm in Michigan and would like  to get something in the Great Lakes area. I see Cyclone bodies on Ebay and know Downs and Kilborne are around. Is there anyone else around that I should consider? Thanks.

kb426

Someone is going to ask how much you want to spend. On the lower end of the spectrum, Kilbourne is a good option.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

39deluxe

I've seen one advertised in the Auto and RV mag for a low price. I don't have a copy available right now but the company was in Three Rivers if I recall.

Tom

rumrumm

I can also recommend Kilbourne. They are well made with a lot of steel reinforcement.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Topsterguy

I've made a few of our Topsters for Kilbourne bodied cars and found that for some reason they are about 1 3/4" narrower than all the rest, so there might be other diferences to watch for.  I contacted them and asked why the bodies are diferent and got no reply. I've heard BeBop are okay but don't know about any of the others out there. We lean towards Wescott out in the west, and hands down they are the best.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

BFS57

Hello;
Doesn't Speedway have a roadster body? You know, You get what you pay for! Cheap is cheap and more expensive is better. Things fit better, things work better, finish is better, less work to do to make it look good.
You have to take into consideration the trade offs of each MFG. Co's. products and decide which one works best for you.

Bruce

rumrumm

I seem to recall that there is a certain amount of shrinkage when creating a fiberglass mold, so if you take a mold off a fiberglass body, the result is a slightlly smaller body than the glass original, which in turn is slightly smaller than the steel original. That could be why the Kilbourne roadster body is narrower. But they do bolt up to a '32 frame without any problems.
Lynn
'32 3W

Topsterguy

I don't doubt they're okay bodies, but I just know the measurement between top frame mounting tabs on top of the body behind the doors is narrower than other bodies for some reason. Being that they appear to be in the same position as other bodies makes me wonder why they're this way. Not meaning to cut their bodies down, just wondering about this and if there's any other diferences.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Topsterguy"I don't doubt they're okay bodies, but I just know the measurement between top frame mounting tabs on top of the body behind the doors is narrower than other bodies for some reason. Being that they appear to be in the same position as other bodies makes me wonder why they're this way. Not meaning to cut their bodies down, just wondering about this and if there's any other diferences.

PS  I remember when I was shopping for a roadster body and I asked our local rod shop guy what he thought. He said " A wescott is about $2000 more than a Gibbon, BUT, you can buy a Gibbon and put $2000 into it to make it right like a Wescott.......but you still won't have a Wescott!" I bought the Wescott and never regretted it!

39deluxe

Have you looked at the Davviki bodies made in Kankakee IL? I spent quite a bit of time with the owner at Kzoo and was impressed with their products. They are well reinforced in steel and ash wood and the finish is superb. They take extreme care in aligning the molds so that there is no filler required when sanding off the mold lines. Also they are delivered with all of the mold lines already sanded off and buffed at no extra charge so you can drive it in gel coat for a time before painting if you wish. The '32 roadster is $4400. and a complete roller is just $10,500.

They have been in business for 25 years and he sold the company a few years ago. The new owners ran it into the ground so he bought it back and has it going again with quality back where it was.

http://www.davviki.com/home.htm

Tom

WZ JUNK

I looked at the Davviki site and their products and prices.  If I was looking to buy, I would check them out.  I think it would be worth the time to go to their shop and look it all over in person.  Keep in mind that the bodies and such that vendors display at shows are generally their very best and the one you order or recieve may not be as good as the one they had in their display.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Uncle Bob

Things can change, and some people can change, but I'd be careful about Davviki.  I don't have any direct experience with their current offerings, but their old company was known as Heritage, or Heritage A&F.  While it may be true the guy in Oklahoma they sold to ran the company into the ground, they didn't have a good rep before they sold it to him.  Cheap bodies with all the sins that are normally associated with that.  If you haven't tried to make a good body out of a poor one you may not appreciate just how valuable it is to start with the best possible unit.  If that means saving for a little longer to afford it, it will be worth it.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

rumrumm

FWIW, my Outlaw body is one of the more expensive '32 3W bodies being produced. However, my painter told me he used less than a cup of bondo to get it prepped for paint. That saved a lot of time and money in the long run. Uncle Bob gave good advice. Cheap is not always better as you look at the overall picture.
Lynn
'32 3W

kb426

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I'm considering turning the 32 into a roadster for summers. My original plan was to use a Kilbourne. I knew about the width. I didn't know about the Heritage history. The rod action that Speedway sells is highly regarded. Does anyone have any exp. with them?
TEAM SMART