Storage of glass

Started by jaybee, September 15, 2009, 09:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

This post has been on the back burner for a long time, finally I've gotten around to getting it done.  Long enough in fact to change the post a little.  When I researched proper storage of glass I noted a site that was a really nice resource but now it's gone.  I printed some pages though, so I'll summarize.

Glass needs to be stored as close to upright as possible to avoid breakage, with just enough lean to keep it from falling over.  It needs to be dry at all times because chemical reactions can etch or discolor the glass over time.  There needs to be space between the panes to allow some air circulation so that any condensation that might occur can evaporate.  It should be cushioned between the panes and underneath so that concentrated stress doesn't cause a crack or chip.  Here's what I did.

The first picture is a look at the base I built for the rack.  It couldn't be any simpler, just a piece of wood scrap with a couple of cleats to keep the bottom of the glass from moving around.  I used two different widths of cleat so that once I have the rack placed where I want it I can turn it around to alter the angle of the glass.

Here's what the rack looks like with the glass test fit in the rack.  I decided to leave the window gaskets in place for spacing between the glass and cushioning.  Without these a strip of rubber underneath and strips of styrofoam between panes will work.  

Here's where I put it.  Yes, it's up in the rafters and roof trusses aren't built for a lot of weight but have a look.  The weight is clear up against the outside wall so that it isn't too heavy.  For a few panes of glass it would've been fine anyway but I'd need to make sure to have a couple of places to lean against, a purpose served by the end gable framing you see here.

A different view shows how I made sure the glass couldn't fall over.  A piece of twine runs from behind the glass to a cup hook in the center then back over the top.  With the glass in place as it should be the twine is easily removed from the cup hook to allow the glass to be placed and removed.  If you stand the glass upright it tightens the twine and catches it so that it can't fall over.  

It's a simple project, a no-brainer almost but I don't remember having it touched on here before and we all need to store glass at some point.

Looks like I'm still learning how to place pics into my text, too.  Not sure what I'm missing.  Perhaps that I'm working in Firefox instead of IE?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

purplepickup

Quote from: "jaybee"
Looks like I'm still learning how to place pics into my text, too.  Not sure what I'm missing.  Perhaps that I'm working in Firefox instead of IE?
You've got it right John.  Just edit your post by hi-liting each picture link in your text then click the "Img" button in the post toolbar for each one. Make sure you only hi-lite the link and no spaces.  I'd have done it for you but then you wouldn't learn :wink:

Pretty neat setup you made for the glass.  Now hopefully it won't have to be away from the car for long.  You know parts can get emotional when they are separated for a long time. :cry:  I have many sad parts...
George

Carps

My glass has been very sad for a long time.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I may have to move it up into the rafters where it can't see the car.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Carps"My glass has been very sad for a long time.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You could put it in the car. :roll:  Not neccesarily in the doors, but in the back seat.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Carps"My glass has been very sad for a long time.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You could put it in the car. :roll:  Not neccesarily in the doors, but in the back seat.

That's just teasing it.  I'd advise against that.  It could be emotionally shattered.   :P
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)