Coming to America

Started by 32coupe, August 23, 2009, 06:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooter33

Quote from: "38HAULR"Buy local GPS,s and compasses Scoots.     If you take your  Aussie versions with you ,they may not be calibrated to work accurately in the northern hemisphere.........Frank.

:lol: Last road trip we did the GPS got us lost here in Australia

We were in outback Queensland in the tudor Plymouth I bought from the states and picked up off the docks sight unseen to drive 1000 miles home (they said we were mad)

We missed one turn and the woman kept saying go straight ahead
(we now know thats what she says when it's confused )
About 60 miles later we decided the road was getting to narrow so turned around.
And thats when we ran out of fuel

:lol:

It was sending us towards Western Australia
Out there it can be 100 miles between houses we were lucky and stopped near a station house that gave us some gas (your type not LPG)

We are coming prepared this time and have bought a map of route 66 so we can check it against the GPS

Scooter33

Scooter33

Andrew should be able to post a link to that trip

Scooter33

32coupe

If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

Rrumbler

Here is a bit of a tip as to the drive time from point A to point B.  From Cleveland to LA will be three and a half to four long steady drive days, allowing only for food and gas stops.  Been there, done that.  If you are planning to do the "real Route 66 experience", you probably ought to add at least an extra day or two to that time.  As to what to see and do?  So many things, so little time.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

38HAULR

Quote from: "Scooter33"
Quote from: "38HAULR"Buy local GPS,s and compasses Scoots.     If you take your  Aussie versions with you ,they may not be calibrated to work accurately in the northern hemisphere.........Frank.

:lol: Last road trip we did the GPS got us lost here in Australia

We were in outback Queensland in the tudor Plymouth I bought from the states and picked up off the docks sight unseen to drive 1000 miles home (they said we were mad)

We missed one turn and the woman kept saying go straight ahead
(we now know thats what she says when it's confused )
About 60 miles later we decided the road was getting to narrow so turned around.
And thats when we ran out of fuel

:lol:

It was sending us towards Western Australia
Out there it can be 100 miles between houses we were lucky and stopped near a station house that gave us some gas (your type not LPG)

We are coming prepared this time and have bought a map of route 66 so we can check it against the GPS

Scooter33
.    A simple map and watch the sign posts,then you have the sun as a guide also ,no excuse for getting lost :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Frank..

Scooter33

Where is is the fun in that
Scooter33

38HAULR

No fun getting lost in the backwoods of USA according to the video I saw."Wrong Turn"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:    Frank.

Carps

Frank, you watch too many movies, there's heaps of fun to be had there.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Rrumbler

QuoteNo fun getting lost in the backwoods of USA according to the video I saw."Wrong Turn" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Frank.

No worries, Frank.  Most of the time, them backwoods folks just look at strangers kind'a funny.  I am an inveterate wanderer, and have been in places where I was the absolute center of attention, but it was always just simple curiosity and caution of strangers.  8)   Now, in some cities, even my native L. A., I have been downright scared for my safety and wellbeing a few times; cities are different in that respect.   :?
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

38HAULR

Quote from: "Carps"Frank, you watch too many movies, there's heaps of fun to be had there.
I am sure there is Carps.   Safer there than on the streets of Melb would be reality..........Frank.

Scooter33

Quote from: "38HAULR"No fun getting lost in the backwoods of USA according to the video I saw."Wrong Turn"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:    Frank.

That's why it would be good if some of our American friends who live near route 66 would give us a yell and hook up while we are there

Scooter33 :wink:

32coupe

So you guys know who to look for while we're there, I'm the good lookin guy with his arm around his favourite girl, and that is Scooter standing next to me on the other side.
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

Fat Cat

Quote from: "32coupe"

So you guys know who to look for while we're there, I'm the good lookin guy with his arm around his favourite girl, and that is Scooter standing next to me on the other side.

You sure run in a motley crowd. Your favorite girl seems like the only normal one in the whole bunch.

phat46

Quote from: "Fat Cat"

You sure run in a motley crowd. Your favorite girl seems like the only normal one in the whole bunch.

I can just see that picture on a milk carton......"Have you seen...."

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "Fat Cat"

I can just see that picture on a milk carton......"Have you seen...."

It's called a BOLO
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.