Coming to America

Started by 32coupe, August 23, 2009, 06:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32coupe

Hi Guys
It's been a while since I was last here, but it still looks the same.
I am coming over to help you guys with your current account deficit and inject some Aussie dollars into your economy.

Long story but a mate of mine, Scooter, can't help himself when it comes to ebay, and he has bought a 50 ford F1 panel delivery from somewhere in Ohio, and now we have to go over there a drive it to Califoria to put it on a boat and bring it home.

So being the eternal optimist and quick to take advantage of an opportunity I put my hand up to co-drive for him and now it looks good for a trip down route 66 :D  :D

We should be over there around the 12th-14th of October, and taking a week or so to do the trip, and we would love to meet as many of you guys as is possible along the way.

I plan on taking a laptop and a camera and posting every day of our adventures, just so the women folk back home can keep an eye on us :wink:

We have spoken to Frank and he will look after us at his end, thanks Frank, now we need to plan where and when to stop along the way.

Any suggestions of what are the must do's along the way would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

Rochie

Andrew,
A MUST is The Henry Ford in Dearborn Mi. and Speedy Bill's  "Smith Collection" in Lincoln Nebraska.
Both are "can't miss" stops.

GPster

Quote from: "32coupe"Long story but a mate of mine, Scooter, can't help himself when it comes to ebay, and he has bought a 50 ford F1 panel delivery from somewhere in Ohio, Andrew
Where in Ohio? I'm in the SE corner of the state and maybe I can offer some help. GPster

48ford

How much time do you have here?
If just one week ,Wow it will take you 3 days to drive to the coast,and a day to arrange shipping.It's around 1600 miles from northwest ohio to the coast.
Can you get more time?
you can spend a week in the states of Utah,& Idaho.
When your at Franks,we could spend a day showing you how they build Ford F150 trucks.
Let us know
Russ&Irene

papastoyss

We drove Rt 66 from St. Louis to Amarillo Tx. & killed most of a week. Theres lots of interesting junk & stuff to see.If a week is all you can spare you will want to come back.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

HotRodLadyCrusr

The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan is only about 10 miles from my place.  I have two guests rooms and would be happy to have you stay here.  Here is my address so you can see just how close to Ohio I am and how close to the Museum I am.

29129 Oriole
Livonia, Michigan 48154

Let me know
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

38HAULR

Somehow I think the US will never be the same again. Budweiser sales will go through the roof.   Also Andrew, they use something over there you are not familiar with. " Gasolene" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: .   Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself.........Frank.

32coupe

Thanks for all the replies, we have booked flights so we should be at frank's place some time on Monday the 12th of October, and we have until Thursday the 22nd at 10:30pm to get to LAX and fly home.

Frank is picking the truck up for us, thanks Frank, and we will be organising shipping from this end before we go.

Thanks Denise we just might take you up on that :D

We should have enough time to hang around Ohio for a while, I look forward to meeting some of you guys.

Carps

Quote from: "32coupe"Thanks Denise we just might take you up on that :D
In addition to my previous advice, I'd strongly recommend the visit to Henry Ford Museum, you will be amazed, coz it's the history of America, not the Ford Motor Co.

I'd also recommend the trip to Speedy Bill's.  However it's a good way from Rt66, so maybe a day trip by air from L.A. once you've reached the west coast.

The biggest challenge is there's so much to see and do and you aint got near enough time allocated to do it.  :wink:

QuoteWe should have enough time to hang around Ohio for a while, I look forward to meeting some of you guys.
There goes the neighborhood Frank.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

32coupe

Quote from: "Carps"I'd also recommend the trip to Speedy Bill's.  However it's a good way from Rt66, so maybe a day trip by air from L.A. once you've reached the west coast.

That sounds like a great idea, all we need now is a home base once we get there, anybody?? :D  :D

Scooter33

Hi all
this will be my first post here
In advance I would like to thank those who have given advice and help so far especially Frank and his brother for looking at the car

It will be our first time to the States so am looking forward to the trip

As for the time this one is just to get a feel for the place

we fully intend of making a habit of spending time over there

It will be good to catch up with fellow rodders even if you do live on the bottom side of the world :lol:

All the maps are printed upside down

Scooter33   :wink:

HotRodLadyCrusr

Here's another thought for you, the weekend of Oct 16-18 is the Good Guys event in Bowling Green Kentucky
http://www.good-guys.com/events/eventDetails.aspx?eventid=09-612
about 8 hour drive south west from the Metro Detroit area.  If you are into tradtional style drag racing at one of the best venues in the country, along with a great show and shine, this is a not to be missed event.  

From this event you can travel west and hit Speedy Bills Museum
http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/
and continue west to California.  You'd be going alittle outta your way to attend the event in Bowling Green but trust me it would be worth it.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

GPster

Quote from: "Scooter33"It will be good to catch up with fellow rodders even if you do live on the bottom side of the world :lol: All the maps are printed upside down Scooter33   :wink:
I was wondering (really) do you have compasses? Which way does the needle point? GPster

Scooter33

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "Scooter33"It will be good to catch up with fellow rodders even if you do live on the bottom side of the world :lol: All the maps are printed upside down Scooter33   :wink:
I was wondering (really) do you have compasses? Which way does the needle point? GPster

Down to the North :lol:  :lol:

Scooter33

38HAULR

Buy local GPS,s and compasses Scoots.     If you take your  Aussie versions with you ,they may not be calibrated to work accurately in the northern hemisphere.........Frank.