02 Dakota disc brakes

Started by tonto1, August 18, 2009, 09:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

Need some advice.
My Dakota has the classic warped disc brake feel, pulsing as I stop, except i can't feel it thru the pedal or steering wheel. Only thru the seat.
Took it to a Tire Shop and they told me it is the front rotors.
They tested by driving the truck and stopping with the emergency brake which, of course, uses the same brakes as the rear wheels. Said there was no * then.
The part I have trouble with is, they said those were throw away discs, can't turn them.
Is it the general consensus that this is true?
Hate to spring for new rotors if it is not needed.
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

enjenjo

For the most part, anything 15 years or less old, turning rotors is an excercise in futility. In a couple thousand miles the brake shudder is back.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

papastoyss

Quote from: "enjenjo"For the most part, anything 15 years or less old, turning rotors is an excercise in futility. In a couple thousand miles the brake shudder is back.
Amen to that. Nowadays rotors are made so lightweight that any metal removal destroys what little heat sink factor was there in the first place.As soon as you get turned rotors a little too hot or splash thru water while hot they will warp again.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

GPster

They must be using the same metal for their brake discs as they use for their Jeep Grand Cherochee (sp?). In '99 we had that problem with the brakes on one at 5,000 miles and they ground them. Again at 9,0000 and then they got new rotors. Traded up to a 2001 when they needed done again at 23,000 hoping that 2 years had given them time to fix their problem. Better but not good lasted to 17,000 then new rotors right away. Traded for a 2004 at 31,000 and the new one went to 28,000 and then had them ground. Put new rotors on at 63,000 because the wouldn't stand another grind but pads were not to the indicators. I think their best fix was to go to 17" wheels from 15". I think when you grind a warped rotor down flatening the surface creates different thicknesses from the surface to the cooling holes in the rotor's center. There's different ways of looking at the situation. Who's paying the bill? you or the manufacturer/dealer. Is it worth $4,500.00? GPster

tonto1

Thanks for the info.
I suspected they were making them lighter. We had the same problem with a 2000 Cavalier, but I was hoping it was because it was a cheap little car and the truck would be a little more heavy duty. Guess not.

Jokester

My friend has a 01 Dakota that would lock the brakes when in sustained bumper to bumper traffic.  Happened twice.  He researched Dakota forums and found several instances of the brake hoses deterioraing inside.  The hose bits would then contaminate the calipers.  He replaced both hoses and calipers and hasn't had the problem since.

Check the Dakota forums and see what you think.

my 2ยข

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

tonto1

So, I went to my local parts store and bought a set of front rotors this afternoon. I'll put them on tomorrow.
Again, thanks for the advice.