Heat/Air Conditioning

Started by tonto1, July 25, 2009, 06:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

Because the '49 Dodge I bought came from sunny southern California, it doesn't have a heater. I'm wondering what the possibilities are of at least putting in a decent heater without changing to 12 volts.
If I have to change to 12 volts, anyone have an opinion about how well the starter will live?
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

Leon

There are a lot of universal heaters available or find an old original that would fit, and it shouldn't be hard to find one that will take a replacement 6 volt motor such as http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/5952.html

Jokester

I've had several 6-12 volt conversions that used the 6 volt starter.  They worked fine for a long time.  Just had to replace the brushes every couple of years.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

papastoyss

When I  drag raced VW's we used a 6v starter on 12 v to crank the engine. (16:1 compression) . We changed the solenoid out to 12v to keep the starter drive from burring the flywheel , Used the same starter 4 seasons w/ no problems.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

tonto1

If I have to change to 12 Volts, what is a popular single wire alternator to use?
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

papastoyss

Quote from: "tonto1"If I have to change to 12 Volts, what is a popular single wire alternator to use?
Delco w/ a internal regulator. I adapted one of these to my old Massey tractor when the generator died.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!