A/C Hoses

Started by teal32, June 19, 2009, 05:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teal32

While doing my rewire, I found that a couple of the A/C vent hoses were splitting out. They are 1 1/2". Since I'm trying to finish up this project this weekend, I didn't want to order any. (Living in a small town can be a pain in the a** sometimes when looking for parts.) I got this brilliant idea, at least for me, that a vacuum sweeper hose would work since it's the correct diameter and flexible enough. I checked at a local shop and the guy gave me 4 and said that I could have whatever I wanted since they were going to junk them. Does anyone see a problem with this? Thanks in advance.  Bob
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

Learpilot

Quote from: "teal32"While doing my rewire, I found that a couple of the A/C vent hoses were splitting out. They are 1 1/2". Since I'm trying to finish up this project this weekend, I didn't want to order any. (Living in a small town can be a pain in the a** sometimes when looking for parts.) I got this brilliant idea, at least for me, that a vacuum sweeper hose would work since it's the correct diameter and flexible enough. I checked at a local shop and the guy gave me 4 and said that I could have whatever I wanted since they were going to junk them. Does anyone see a problem with this? Thanks in advance.  Bob
If you are using r-134 you may have freon leaking through the hoses. You need to use barrier hose. Most Auto Parts stores sell this hose by the foot.
A/C hoses are measured  by the inside. A #6 hose is 6/16" or 3/8"(high side) a #8 is 8/16"or 1/2" from the compressor to the condenser and the #10 is 10/16" or 5/8" from the evaporator.
I am no expert just built my Street Rod which included the A/C.
I hope this helps !

kb426

I see no reason for that not to work except it might get real stiff and be difficult to work with. Depends on how good the hose is.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

It should work fine. Just make sure you don't short an electrical circuit to it, they catch fire right now.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

teal32

Thanks for the help. I think I'm goint to give them a try. It's will only be to the defroster vents. Shouldn't be any problem Famous last words. I'll make sure there aren't any wires too close. Probably will try to insulate the hose some way, just in case.
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid