Pontiac Fuel Injection

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 09, 2009, 09:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

How many factory Fuel injection  setups for a Pontiac of the 1950's have you seen?

there was a 1966  GTO at work today with the setup..  421 motor with the stuff bolted on

this is similar to the Corvette fuel injection.

Also notice the HEI dizzy in the back of the engine .  The guy is a machinist

The photo is from my cell phone, not a great pic ... sorry
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I have only seen one, back in the late 50s, my uncle had a Bonneville convert with one on it. If I recall correctly, it was a 58.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

I was at a show in Helena Mt. in 07 and saw one there. It was a 58 convertible and a one owner. The lady who owned told me her father bought it for her as a high school graduation present. It was perfect as it had been totally restored. Maybe Sirstude will chime in as I think he knows both the car and owner
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

As I recall the fellow mentioned it was 1958 Pontiac he bought used in 1960..  he drove the car many miles then sold the car.  He kept the fuel injection unit off the engine.

I believe he said only 200 of these FI units were built.  He has 2 of them.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

Quote from: "phat rat"I was at a show in Helena Mt. in 07 and saw one there. It was a 58 convertible and a one owner. The lady who owned told me her father bought it for her as a high school graduation present. It was perfect as it had been totally restored. Maybe Sirstude will chime in as I think he knows both the car and owner

It's a 57, and Pat was the original owner, and when she got divorced her mom took the car for safekeeping.  When she and Bud had been married for a while they got it back.  Bud hit a deer with it not too long after you were here, looks great again now though.  That is the only one I have ever seen.  Bud said there was one last year at Barrett, but I don't remember how much it went for.  Sure is a neat car.  Should be out on Father's day and I will get a picture then.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Carnut

Yep, from wikipedia,

'Standard only for the Pontiac Bonneville was Pontiac's first-ever fuel injection system. A mechanical system built by Rochester, it was similar in principle, but not identical, to the contemporary Chevrolet "fuelie". Pontiac did not release official power ratings for this engine, saying only that it had more than 300 hp (220 kW). Contemporary road tests suggest that it was actually somewhat inferior to the Tri-Power engines, although it did have better fuel economy. Only 630 Bonnevilles were produced for 1957, all of them fuel-injected.

For 1958 the V8's bore was increased again to 4 1⁄16 in (103.2 mm), increasing displacement to 369.4 cu in (6.053 L).

The fuel-injected engine was now an option, not standard, on the Bonneville, carrying a staggering price tag of $500 (almost 15% of the car's base price). It was rated at 310 hp (230 kW) @ 4800 rpm and 400 lb·ft (540 N·m) @ 3,000 rpm on 10.5:1 compression. Only about 400 were produced before the fuel injection system was quietly dropped.'

And I could swear in my life I have seen a factory 59 Pontiac with FI.

Guess I must be mistaken.

phat rat

Quote from: "sirstude"
Quote from: "phat rat"I was at a show in Helena Mt. in 07 and saw one there. It was a 58 convertible and a one owner. The lady who owned told me her father bought it for her as a high school graduation present. It was perfect as it had been totally restored. Maybe Sirstude will chime in as I think he knows both the car and owner

It's a 57, and Pat was the original owner, and when she got divorced her mom took the car for safekeeping.  When she and Bud had been married for a while they got it back.  Bud hit a deer with it not too long after you were here, looks great again now though.  That is the only one I have ever seen.  Bud said there was one last year at Barrett, but I don't remember how much it went for.  Sure is a neat car.  Should be out on Father's day and I will get a picture then.

I was thinking it was a 58. Guess the old CRS kicked in again LOL
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

sirstude

As promised, here is Bud and Pat's Bonneville:
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

I had to resize the last one.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

When I was in high school I saw one. Belonged to a kid a couple of years older than me (judged by appearence and the situation). It probably would have been about '64. It was a very clean, black, '58 two door hardtop. It may have been his father's car because he was picking a girl up for a date with it and it was never talked about and never was in the school parking lot. GPster

39deluxe

Here's a '57 Bonneville Fuelie that was at the Auburn concourse in 2007. I didn't get a hood open shot.  I saw another one in about 1965 at the Dodge dealer in Auburn. It was a white convertible sitting in the back row for $175. Not rusty but tired.