Roller Rockers for a 350 SBC

Started by Learpilot, May 31, 2009, 05:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

Is there any advantage to replacing the stamped steel rockers 1.5 to 1.5 full rollers ?  More power ? How much ? Better gas milage ? What brand have you had good service. Not going to change the cam and lifters.
It is in my 36 Dodge Street Rod , no racin just going to car shows. My heads don't have screw in studs.
Thanks for your info !!!

chimp koose

They do offer a power and fuel economy advantage.That is why OEM started using them. There is less friction in the valvetrain and your valve guides may last longer due to less side loading on the guide. Also stamped ones tend to vary in the rocker ratio while the rollers usually dont.Hard to give a number on power increase but it would be enough to be noticeable by 'seat of the pants' method.Check out the 1.6 rockers, its a cheap way to 'turn up the wick'.A .480lift at 1.5 turns to a .512 at 1.6 ratio.

Carnut

Humm, not exactly an expert on SBC roller rockers, but I guess I am a 'believer'.

Currently I have full roller aluminum rockers from SummitRacing on two of my SBC's and a set of cast roller tip rockers on the SBC in my 40 Ford.

Not real sure if they have added any performance or improved gas mileage, but I 'think' it was the right thing to do, mostly for theoretical longevity.

In the past I have had problems with OEM SBC rockers on a few occasions and so far have had no problems with any of my current aftermarket rockers.

Again why would the factories start producing Rollers if they weren't good for something.

tomslik

Quote from: "chimp koose"They do offer a power and fuel economy advantage.That is why OEM started using them. There is less friction in the valvetrain and your valve guides may last longer due to less side loading on the guide. Also stamped ones tend to vary in the rocker ratio while the rollers usually dont.Hard to give a number on power increase but it would be enough to be noticeable by 'seat of the pants' method.Check out the 1.6 rockers, its a cheap way to 'turn up the wick'.A .480lift at 1.5 turns to a .512 at 1.6 ratio.

one more thing, roller aftermarket rockers will be closer to a true 1.5 ratio over a stamped steel oem one.
they run 1.42 sometimes....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Learpilot

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "chimp koose"They do offer a power and fuel economy advantage.That is why OEM started using them. There is less friction in the valvetrain and your valve guides may last longer due to less side loading on the guide. Also stamped ones tend to vary in the rocker ratio while the rollers usually dont.Hard to give a number on power increase but it would be enough to be noticeable by 'seat of the pants' method.Check out the 1.6 rockers, its a cheap way to 'turn up the wick'.A .480lift at 1.5 turns to a .512 at 1.6 ratio.

one more thing, roller aftermarket rockers will be closer to a true 1.5 ratio over a stamped steel oem one.

Can I use 1.6 rockers with out going to screw in studs ?  Is it about the same pressure with the 1.5 stamped steel as the 1.6 full rollers ?
THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER !!!

tomslik

Quote from: "Learpilot"

Can I use 1.6 rockers with out going to screw in studs ?  Is it about the same pressure with the 1.5 stamped steel as the 1.6 full rollers ?

kinda depends on how much spring pressure you've got, if they're kinda stockish (springs), you wouldn't need to BUT the tops of the stud need to be pretty flat for the locknuts...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Learpilot

kinda depends on how much spring pressure you've got, if they're kinda stockish (springs), you wouldn't need to BUT the tops of the stud need to be pretty flat for the locknuts...
I have stock springs and never rev over 5000 rpm.
THANKS

Learpilot

I have stock springs and never rev over 5000 rpm.
THANKS