Strange Air Cleaner Find!

Started by 40, June 29, 2004, 11:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just getting the old Coupe D'Ville ready for the road trip to Des Moines...Pulling the usuall pre-trip maintenance...Oil change,air cleaner etc.Popped the air cleaner off and as I lifted it out of the engine bay,I heard something rolling around inside that sounded like a handfull of marbles??? I lifted the top off and the entire area surrounding the air filter was filled with Chestnuts :roll: There were at least a couple dozen large chestnuts inside....none appeared to have been eaten on...no residue...the breather/air filter were extremely clean...I suppose I drove off with some varmits nut stash!The old girl was kept in a machine shed on the farm....What's your guess as to what may have been using the old Caddy for a food pantry???I took the seats out of the old gal and looked everything over closely...no visible signs anywhere of the car ever having any type of critter in it.I re-set the timing/dwell/points and without the air obstruction caused by the nuts...The old girl runs like new!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

moparrodder

Quote from: "40"What's your guess as to what may have been using the old Caddy for a food pantry

I don't know for sure Daryle, but could it have been a ground squirrel?  How big is the opening in the air cleaner housing?  That may give you a clue as to how big a critter would fit in there.  Just a wild guess :roll:   I guess.   Bill

47wood

Yeah, those squirrels are crafty survivalist.  Just ask anyone that has tried to devise a way to keep them away from their wild bird feeders.  Poor little fella is probably still trying to figure out where that stash went.  You better look around ...there may be more!    :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

58 Yeoman

Actually, those are probably just some 'nuts' driving on the road that got sucked up by the big Caddy. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Bob K

I've heard of a " Loose nut behing the Steering Wheel" but never one in the air cleaner. I'll have a look at Des Moines. I'll bring my "anti squirrel" weapon along.

B :lol: B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Crosley.In.AZ

chesnuts , squirrels? what are these things?

I see a few snakes , lizards & desert rats in my cars..... :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

34ford

Sounds like a new line for the old Christmas song "chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Maybe now it can be "Chestnuts roasting on an old V-8.
:lol:  :lol:

jaybee

You might want to think about some axle bearings before you leave home, too.

Uh, never mind.

:wink:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

34ford

Quote from: "jaybee"You might want to think about some axle bearings before you leave home, too.

Uh, never mind.

:wink:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Did I hear somebody say "axle bearings"? :lol:  :lol:

The correct terminology is "Very expensive rear axel bearings".I was not a real happy camper Friday but am sure that will pale in comparison to how mad I will be on Tuesday when I call the parts house and find out what the "Mark-up" was at that shop :evil: The good news is the car performed flawlessly on the way home...even got almost 18mpg average on the trip...seems unreal for a 429!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"