OT, but related, New driveway

Started by 29abone, May 10, 2009, 04:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29abone

:roll: I need to replace my driveway.  Should I use steel or fiber reinforced concrete?  Probable thickness 5 inches.  How deep and what kind of base should I have?

Thanks,  :P

Larry
Larry

The joy is in the journey.

jaybee

I'm no expert on concrete but I've been pleased with my fiber reinforced concrete.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Fat Cat

I would go with wire reinforced concrete. In driveways I like the wire reinforcing that looks like fencing. It need to be pulled up into the concrete as it is poured but I like it better in our climate. If you were going to drive trucks and semis across it I would suggest wire and fiber reinforced concrete.

wayne petty

i have always wondered about digging it slightly deeper around the edges  of the slab for added strength at the edges..  

and there are little concrete cubes with wires embedded to tie to the wire below the pour...   keeps the wire in the lower 1/3 of the slab

Crosley.In.AZ

what PSI rating is required on the concrete there?

:?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

here are some FAQ's etched in cement

http://www.cement.org/basics/concretebasics_faqs.asp

http://www.cement.org/homes/ch_bs_driveways.asp

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/concrete_driveways/the_correct_concrete_mix.htm

more here

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/concrete_driveways/

hope this helps.... i am going to spend more time reading...

the last driveway i helped pour ... was 15 inches thick...   it had to support a freightliner tractor hauler and various ring trenchers and backhoes..

i would really really hate to have to be the one who trys to pull that up ...

my friend jon had concreted in the parking strip of grass at his old house in burbank...   a utility worker came to do something one day...  got out his big jack hammer...   put on the steel toe covers... fired up the compressor.. lifted the jack hammer and placed it on the concrete slab...   on the third piston strike or so...  less than a second he had gone through up to the top of the spike...  seems... jon did not like to mow or water the grass...  he had gotten 1 inch thick concrete slabs from the hardware store down the block...  layed them down and fooled everybody...

phat rat

Have you considered ashpalht? Properly done with a good base it can last a long time also. Mine has been in 18 years and is still in good shape. A plus it has over concrete in the winter is the black draws heat from the sun and the snow and ice will melt on it while it still sticks to the concrete
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

I'm a big believer in wire mesh. 6x6 by 12 ga.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

asphalt is a great idea... one thing.. you have to see what the batch plant is going to send you...

out here in los angeles...  land of pot holes....  the local asphalt batch plants have gotten everybody to use recycled asphalt...  made up from the previously removed pavement...   the stuff that is ground up with the cold planer... if you look at it... it is made up of nothing larger than 5/16 of an inch...  and particles as small as dust....

for asphalt to really last... it has to be made up with 3/4" and larger CRUSHED rock... the many corners of crushed rock get locked together to support the traffic above... the tar waterproofs it.. and holds it together..

when recycled asphalt is used... it is mostly sand... with tar mixed in... the only thing holding the surface stable is the TAR...   and that slowly evaporates and shrinks... leaving gaps and cracks ... this is why there are so many pot holes and ruts in asphalt...    except for areas where winter needs allow studded tires...

if i lived with winter conditions.. i might really want a spare set of spiked ICE racing tires for my car...     who needs chains...

one thing.... and i don't know if its legal... but.. i think you are in the sub 0 winter area...  i my self might think about some kind of warming device to embed in the concrete to melt a snow on a walkway to the sidewalk...  not to do the entire driveway.. just a single path...  just a thought...  one could always open the garage doors and fire up the flame throwers that you installed in the exhaust..