Pontiac going bye - bye?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 24, 2009, 10:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

I know we've been joking about GM/Pontiacs problems, but in reality I just don't understand what retiring a 'brand name' actually does for the Corp.

It would seem that since most all GM models were the same under the skin, that every car sold was a sale for GM no matter what the nameplate was on the car. And selling cars is what the Government and GM seem to so desparately need to do right now.

So other than reducing the orders on various trim pieces, what is saved by retiring the name?

Won't GM actually be sacrificing possible sales for those folks who are actually still 'brand loyal'l?

As long as a car rolls off the line what does it matter to GM and Government what nameplate is on the car?

Now I know for most of us there was a day when the Nameplate actually meant a different car, but no longer.

It sure seems to me GM could just coalesce all the suits into one group and still produce the same cars with nameplates assigned by the order sheet when it comes in. Just add the option check off box on the order sheet for 'brand name' and drive on.

Course I suspicion that the tree huggers and the current administration just wants everyone to be driving Prius's anyway I guess.

tomslik

so, what happens to some of the higher-ups in pontiac?
do they get canned (caned?)?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"so, what happens to some of the higher-ups in pontiac?

Give them a gold plated Aztec  and throw them out

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

Quote from: "tomslik"so, what happens to some of the higher-ups in pontiac?

People at that level are "too valuable to lose", they will get transferred
into some global corporate strategy marketing positions.

GPster

My son-in-law is building a plastic model of a Pontiac GTO "Judge" and I made the comment to him that it would be a collectable when Pontiac got their doors closed for them. He was not surprised, seems like he heard that "rummor?" weeks ago. He works for Chase so he hears this stuff off the money trail. Of course Saturn and Humvey are going too but GM is keeping them as a saleable item. GMC trucks is a quandry because it is still a very good money maker for GM. We both had the same idea. Let GMC make trucks that are like trucks and stop Chevrolet and Cadillac quit making trucks that are like cars. GPster

Carnut

Looks like GM is going Bye Bye now.

I also kinda wonder why if the giant corporate GM is going to go bankrupt why can't it be split up into all the diverent divisions as individual companies?

Let Chevy be a company on it's own competing with Buick and Pontiac and Saturn and Ford and what's left of Chrysler and see how it goes.

mcdonald

And last years model Pontiac GTO was made in Australia by Holden and it was a Commador Manaro and renamed when sent to the states.
Lindsay

Inprimer

Quote from: "Carnut"Looks like GM is going Bye Bye now.

I also kinda wonder why if the giant corporate GM is going to go bankrupt why can't it be split up into all the diverent divisions as individual companies?

Let Chevy be a company on it's own competing with Buick and Pontiac and Saturn and Ford and what's left of Chrysler and see how it goes.
I heard that the GMC truck line is being continued so they can sell them as a seperate entity in Buick/ or Cad dealers I guess its hard to sell only Chevy trucks along a Cad francise so they double sell Chevy trucks with a GMC logo

unklian

On the subject of GMC trucks,Smokey Yunick said Chevy builds
the body and running gear, GMC designs the grill and hub caps.

Seems like GMC trucks survived the "restructuring".

Inprimer

Quote from: "unklian"On the subject of GMC trucks,Smokey Yunick said Chevy builds
the body and running gear, GMC designs the grill and hub caps.

Seems like GMC trucks survived the "restructuring".
Bought a new '76 GMC under the seat was the specs made by Chevy with GMC codes grille, trim & tailgate .