Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 24, 2009, 10:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I've read some scuttle butt that GM is dropping the Pontiac brand
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

But they will keep GMC trucks ?  Brilliant.   :roll:  :wink:

The rest of their brands are not too far behind, at the rate they are going.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "unklian"But they will keep GMC trucks ?  Brilliant.   :roll:  :wink:

That was my thought too....why keep an identical truck line...get rid of the gmc. :roll:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat46

Yup, on the local detroit news yesterday...Pontiac is going away. You shoulda heard the rant my wife had to listen to!!!  :shock:  :D

tomslik

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
Quote from: "unklian"But they will keep GMC trucks ?  Brilliant.   :roll:  :wink:

That was my thought too....why keep an identical truck line...get rid of the gmc. :roll:

well, i'm kinda the other way.
get rid of the chevy trucks, the gmc's are better looking;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

GMC trucks used to be better - stronger truck .... decades ago.   :lol:

Now a daze , I think the GMC trucks usually look better body wise that Chevy.  Although I own a chevy Silverado 2006 year.

I placed an order for a 2006 GMC truck with a sales rep at Coury GMC in Mesa AZ  before I bought the chevy. The sales rep said " no deposit was needed" .....  

Weeks later I call him and ask about my truck.  THe answer was " HUH? what truck?"  He lost the paper work somewhere = I was told.  So the chevy came from Chapman Chev in Tempe
Tony

enjenjo

It seems to me that GM lost it in the 60s. In the mid 60s, GM reorganised, and created GMAD which was the assembly division, and included Fisher body. At that time the responsibility for how the  cars looked and were assembled was lost by the various brands. GMAD said "this is what we are building, you decide trim". It did not become obvious right away, but by 1970 it was becoming obvious to most everyone.

In 77 with the suits over the "Chevymobiles", GM started calling all powertrains "coroprate", and the cars further lost their identity. By 1980 it was pretty much over, outside of trim and accessories, a Chevy and a Caddy were the same car under the skin, and in a lot of cases, most of the skin was the same too.

In 1985, the best selling car in the country was the Olds Cutlass. But GM knew better what we wanted, so the Cutlass was downsized, and redesigned, and by 2005 the whole company was gone, not just the Cutlass.

In truth, in the last 20 years, GM has only built about 5 different cars, and just trimed them out different for the various divisions. Is any wonder that their market share has dropped from 55 percent of the cars sold to under 20 percent? Can you name the last time they did something innovative?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Any company that could build the Pontiac Aztek deserves to die.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Carnut"Any company that could build the Pontiac Aztek deserves to die.

Actually the folks that approved the Aztec should have been fired
Tony

Carnut

Yes the execs and designers should have been fired and the line employees should have declared conscientious objector status and refused to build it.

ArizonaBear

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Carnut"Any company that could build the Pontiac Aztek deserves to die.

Actually the folks that approved the Aztec should have been fired

And the Aztek may wind up developing a cult following.

Much like the 1991 'bathtub' Chevy Caprice: when it first came out; it was almost hated-------------today, that bodystyle has caught on with the leadsled crowd. Things change :)

58 Yeoman

QuoteIn 77 with the suits over the "Chevymobiles", GM started calling all powertrains "coroprate", and the cars further lost their identity. By 1980 it was pretty much over, outside of trim and accessories, a Chevy and a Caddy were the same car under the skin, and in a lot of cases, most of the skin was the same too.

Yeah...sounds like what those in charge are trying to do world-wide....make one planetary country.  They've already started in Europe; next will be the USA, mexico and Canada....

BTW, the last Chevy I owned was an '88 Silverado.  I quit buying gm when I had to pay a $100 to have a brake booster changed under a recall, because they installed the wrong one at the factory.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

unklian

Washington will probably give GM extra cash to bring back the Aztec,
as part of their Eco friendly/tree hugging mission.  :roll:

Unfortunately, the top brass at GM know very little
about manufacturing, marketing, or cars.

Trying to run any business, just by "the numbers", does not work long term.

tomslik

speaking of assticks, the "versatrak" fluid they use (at least the rendezvous does) is 33 bucks a bottle and it takes 3 just for the rear... :shock:
and that's something like a pint a bottle :shock:  :shock:

say what you want about the 'ticks but at least you know what they are....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

unklian

What ever happened to Asuna ?
Their short lived, small car badge.